Page 5 of 109 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

Thanks gm!!
    After redoing them a couple times I’m pretty satisfied with the leg room my Bride and I have now.
    Now that Ole Man Winter has stuck his head in what looks like to stay here in NE Ohio, maybe I’ll have more time to tinker with it.

Keep the photos coming!

I went last weekend to look at a clutch problem that one of our new members was having. He has an MD Juan bodied CJ3A, and I will have to retract some of the trash talk I had put out on the replacement body kits. His Jeep seemed to fit together really well, meaning the fenders and grill looked like they belonged together. The welds on the hat channels were alright, matter of fact they look similar to the welds laid down from the factory by hand. All in all, I was actually impressed with the quality.

All and all I am pretty happy with mine other than it is thin, other than that the fitment is good and the spot welds are tight.
    I think it is a good deal for the money.
    The guy that is going to paint it stopped by last weekend and said he was going to strip it all down and skim coat the whole body and cover up all the spot welds and the tiny waves in it, it should look pretty good when and IF I ever get it ready to paint.
    My plan is to get it all finished and running and take it all apart and send it to him to start his magic.

Better to have it all in perfect running order before the fenders and all are painted. Then it won't hurt if you have to drill a hole, or drop a ratchet.

I just bought a 1958 Willy's CJ5 and I need to replace the entire brake system. I'm just going to rebuild the drums, does anyone have any suggestions? And or links to brake kits? I am also not sure what year/model brake kits will fit mine.
    Thanks!

Kaiser Willy’s has a pretty good selection of parts for your CJ5

Quote Originally Posted by newjeep View Post
    I just bought a 1958 Willy's CJ5 and I need to replace the entire brake system. I'm just going to rebuild the drums, does anyone have any suggestions? And or links to brake kits? Thanks!
    Don't try to save drums that are badly scored or that have already been turned to their limits. Getting it stopped is as important as getting it running!

Here is the link to KWAS brakes - they have everything you need. If the brakes are standard, just look for CJ-5 parts and kits.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/category/brake

Put up some pictures of the critter so we can appreciate it with you.

I would use the pre-bent brake lines from Kaiser Willys, or maybe check into Willys America. I would look for American made brake master and wheel cylinders. Your local parts store can get you Wagner brake parts. They cost more, but you will not have to barnyard modify the backer plates to accept the crown Chinese replacement wheel cylinders..... The bolt holes and bleeder do not fit quite right. The cheap brake lines will cause you headaches because of leaks at the unions. I tried to go cheap, and fought problems as stated. Even if you buy bulk lines and bend them to fit, you will be better off.

I bought all my drums,wheel cylinders,springs,and shoes from my NAPA dealer and the adjusters and the pre-bent S-lines on the front axle I bought from Kaiser Willy’s if that helps.
    Once you find out which model you have NAPA can cross it over for you.
    Last edited by TJones; 11-30-2018 at 05:51 AM.

The S-lines from Kaisers works well.