Page 82 of 109 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

Being cold is only is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter. That's easy to say living down here, but my last address was in the far north where it would get down to -40 actual air temp. We rode Harley's on new years day if the roads were clear, and when it snowed we rode out to go bar hopping on the sleds. Maybe alcohol helped to tolerate the temps.

Waking up from hibernation

Today was as good a day as we are going to get for the next week, so I went out and coaxed the Old Beast to life. As you can see from the picture, it was deep in hibernation, but you gotta' do what you've gotta' do. Go ahead, poke the bear.

It's easier to pull off several smaller covers than one big cover - that's why all the cloths on things.

I used the standard cold-weather start protocol; a slug of starting fluid down the carb throat, with ignition off - crank it through 8-cylinders full choked (two full engine turn-overs) then hit the ignition.

RUMP - RUMP-Rump...RUMP, about a dozen cylinders and then a splutter. Back to Rump, rump, rump - a bit faster - then another splutter that keeps up for a couple of revolutions. Finally -rump, rump, splutter chug, chug, chug.. jockey the choke to keep it going.

YAY!!! Success. It Lives! The ammeter immediately goes to full charge - I drew a slug of energy out of the 6-volt battery to get things going. After about a minute, I ease the choke back in to let it run at a fast idle. I sit for a bit, look around the engine compartment - nothing leaking or sounding funny. That one lifter does clatter when it's cold, but it does that for about 30-minutes even in summer time.

I set the oven timer to run for 20 minutes and then go check on things. She's just running along nicely. The exhaust has cleaned up - no condensation, so the muffler and pipes have warmed up. I check the top of the radiator tank - warm, so the thermostat has opened. I crawl back in and look at the gauges. Oil is where it should be (45 PSI, but actually 30), Temp is exactly on 160 and the ammeter has centered at about a half-needle above center 0, so the battery is topped off. I flick the headlights on and off and note that the ammeter swings back and forth as the regulator corrects for the added load. Finally, I turn on the heater, lots of warm air. Even on a day like today I would have to crack open the driver's window to regulate the heat. That's the up side to having a truck.

So, everything is OK and it's time to shut down, put the covers back on and wait for the March thaw.

Goodnight Gracie ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 01-23-2021 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Finished the story

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Being cold is only is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter. That's easy to say living down here, but my last address was in the far north where it would get down to -40 actual air temp. We rode Harley's on new years day if the roads were clear, and when it snowed we rode out to go bar hopping on the sleds. Maybe alcohol helped to tolerate the temps.
    Your a better man than me GM, I wont ride my bike unless it's at least 70-75 outside temp.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Today was as good a day as we are going to get for the next week, so I went out and coaxed the Old Beast to life. As you can see from the picture, it was deep in hibernation, but you gotta' do what you've gotta' do. Go ahead, poke the bear.

It's easier to pull off several smaller covers than one big cover - that's why all the cloths on things.

I used the standard cold-weather start protocol; a slug of starting fluid down the carb throat, with ignition off - crank it through 8-cylinders full choked (two full engine turn-overs) then hit the ignition.

RUMP - RUMP-Rump...RUMP, about a dozen cylinders and then a splutter. Back to Rump, rump, rump - a bit faster - then another splutter that keeps up for a couple of revolutions. Finally -rump, rump, splutter chug, chug, chug.. jockey the choke to keep it going.

YAY!!! Success. It Lives! The ammeter immediately goes to full charge - I drew a slug of energy out of the 6-volt battery to get things going. After about a minute, I ease the choke back in to let it run at a fast idle. I sit for a bit, look around the engine compartment - nothing leaking or sounding funny. That one lifter does clatter when it's cold, but it does that for about 30-minutes even in summer time.

I set the oven timer to run for 20 minutes and then go check on things. She's just running along nicely. The exhaust has cleaned up - no condensation, so the muffler and pipes have warmed up. I check the top of the radiator tank - warm, so the thermostat has opened. I crawl back in and look at the gauges. Oil is where it should be (45 PSI, but actually 30), Temp is exactly on 160 and the ammeter has centered at about a half-needle above center 0, so the battery is topped off. I flick the headlights on and off and note that the ammeter swings back and forth as the regulator corrects for the added load. Finally, I turn on the heater, lots of warm air. Even on a day like today I would have to crack open the driver's window to regulate the heat. That's the up side to having a truck.

So, everything is OK and it's time to shut down, put the covers back on and wait for the March thaw.

Goodnight Gracie ...
    Now you did it Larry I'm going to have to head out to the Garage-Ma-Hall and check on my Baby, I have the furnace set on 55 so it should fire right up.
    I will back her out and let her purr for a half hour or so.
    Unlike yours the heater doesn't work for S)*T
    These Ole bones can't hardly take this cold weather anymore, must of been used to much when I was young and dumb and full of...................... doing stupid S&^T...........
    Last edited by TJones; 01-23-2021 at 03:10 PM.

Wot?!? That was perhaps the single greatest start up in history. And you shut her down until March? My god man! Take the spin! Take the spin!!!

Take Her For a Spin

Quote Originally Posted by 5JeepsAz View Post
    Wot?!? That was perhaps the single greatest start up in history. And you shut her down until March? My god man! Take the spin! Take the spin!!!
    I really thought about it, but the main reason I decided not to was that when I came back from the last spin, I was piddling from the general area of the pinion bearing shaft at the front of the differential. I want to pull that pinon cover and see what's happening.

It will happen in March!

"I was young and dumb and full of......................"

"I was young, dumb and full of >>>>> and wanting to go to WestPac" was the saying from the 1960's Navy guys...

Larry what the heck is up with the pinon leak? Man that axle does not want to stay dry.

I have mine on the TJ plan, heated garage. It's 65 in there and 14 outside. peeJ is all snug. Spoiled little Jeep.

I am of the unfailing belief that whenever I get her back, currently all stop due to covid outbreak, my truck is going to run perfectly for one year. She will be about done with the resto. Need to put a couple locks on the topper and a pair of fog lights, but the major stuff is in place at least. So she's going daily driver immediately. Should work perfectly! Just has to be... !!

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    "I was young and dumb and full of......................"

"I was young, dumb and full of >>>>> and wanting to go to WestPac" was the saying from the 1960's Navy guys...