Page 91 of 109 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    How much were those seats in the "Crush"?
    I’d have to look, but I think they were discontinued seats from Jegs and I got them for $115 a piece but the orange inserts were the pricey part they were more than the seats

Okay Ole Wise ones,
    I had to put a right angle drive on the transfer case to get my speedo to work due to the fuel pump and filters in the frame rail.
    I took it out last week and the speedo quit working so I crawled under the ole girl and pulled the cable out and tested it from the TC end and it worked, so I pulled the right angle drive off and the tang end was twisted off. Any ideas what could of twisted it off?
    The speedo cable is free, it's got me "dumb twerked....I mean dumbfounded"
    Maybe just poor craftsmanship??

I know the shaft looks rough, but I had to grind it a little to get the tang end out of the shaft.

63846311664__2EEA8784-ED0B-4344-A6E2-D13F204C84A8.jpgIMG_3370.jpgIMG_3400.jpg63846325021__BD370E2D-61B5-4F94-9F17-300401D03238.jpg

Rule#16
    Last edited by TJones; 03-29-2021 at 03:19 PM.

TJ, theirs no miles on that cable. It must be a bending fatigue. Can you get a close up of the broken surfaces straight on with a macro lens? I suspect we will see classic "Beach Marks", the sign of fatigue failure. If the shaft was slightly bent right there when it was installed or shipped, it will bend back and forth every time it rotates. This will cause the classic "Bending Fatigue" failure, which would radically shorten the life of the gear. I have seen speedo cables drive some pretty impressive loads so I doubt it is a load thing. I am thinking it was bent sometime in its life right near where it broke. Also it looks like there is a grove machined in right there. Another place to introduce a stress riser. I am thinking bad part.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 03-29-2021 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    TJ, theirs no miles on that cable. It must be a bending fatigue. Can you get a close up of the broken surfaces straight on with a macro lens? I suspect we will see classic "Beach Marks", the sign of fatigue failure. If the cable was slightly bent right there when they crimped it all together, or when it was installed or shipped, it will bend back and forth every time it rotates. This will cause the classic "Bending Fatigue" failure, which would radically shorten the life of the cable If the cable had a tight bend near there it could also have caused it to bend back and forth. I have seen speedo cables drive some pretty impressive loads so I doubt it is a load thing. I am thinking it was bent sometime in its life right near where it broke.
    It's not the cable Bob it is the end of the right angle drive that bolts onto the TC, I will see if I can get some better pictures up close.

Ya we were typing at the same time. I saw that and corrected my post. I think an end shot will tell. I haven't seen many broken gears, even when I was doing heavy truck stuff. That is odd. I am thinking bent or just plain a bad one. The gear is case hardened there. It would crack easily. A macro end shot might help to see actual fracture. Hold it up and shoot the end the actual fracture surface as close as you can.

The Guy at Texas Industrial Electric that made the first one told me that it possible was to small for the hole in the transfer case speedo drive gear and it could of been wobbling around inside it and finally gave up, he had me measure the hole with a drill bit and it was 5/32 which is .150 and he is making me another one to fit tight.

My camera wouldn't get a very close up picture.

Thank you. That may be why mine bounces, if it's a wobble or warp at that juncture. Mine also tests good but doesn't read right. I'm thinking when I add bmorgils tach-o- meter I'll address it.

AZ
    You can test it with a drill motor and see if it’s the speedometer.
    It may very well be the cable inside the housing needs greased up and can pull it out from the transfer case end and check it.