Page 99 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: New to the Forum

Oh Yeah Gizzard
    Between the Road Salt and Brine Water (from the oil wells) around NE Ohio in the winter months, if you don’t do some sort of preventative precaution against either type of snow melt it will eat your vehicle up with rust faster than a Kansas Wheat Fire taking off across a field in a wind storm!!!

That’s why everyone tries to find vehicles from the southern states that use sand on their roads instead of salt/brine water!!
    Cancer Free
    Last edited by TJones; 06-27-2021 at 07:02 AM.

Rust is amazing around these parts that's for sure TJ! Nothing like a concentrated salt spray at 60 mph in a fine mist to insure the rust gets started everywhere. You have to wonder the eventual cost of all that salt eating up everything from concrete to steel, and then making its way to the great lake.

The first time you work on a southern kept vehicle, you are then spoiled. With northern vehicles you have the following sequence of events; Oxy acetylene torch, air chisels, more torch, PB Blaster, more torch, impacts sockets with sledge marks from wailing on the socket while the impact gun hammers for extra shock, more torch, and finally break the bolt off. As a general salt belt law of averages was that on a quiet night, if you listen closely, you could hear your new car/truck rusting from the inside out. There was a company that sold a bill of good stating that the had a process that would prevent rust. Ziebart would go through your vehicle and drill through the lower edges of the body and would "coat" the inner panels with rust preventive..... Within ten years most of the cars rusted out around where the holes were drilled.

3M does make a descent product called Cavity Wax, and it works in the same principle as Ziebart, but it uses existing holes and long straws on the applicator can to reach most places.

No matter what you do that rust starts somewhere around these parts. I love your "salt belt law of averages". We actually used to say "On a quiet night you can hear your new car starting to rust", and then sob quietly.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-28-2021 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizzard View Post
    Is this a northern state thing? Never seent that in my neck of the woods.

So there you have it Gizzard

Ziebart used a fairly heavy material that was more of a coating or a sealer than anything else. It worked OK until it was compromised, then it held salt water into very intimate contact with the base metal and accelerated rusting.

Over the last quarter-century, I've favored a process called Rust Chek. Their process is more a heavy WD-40 type material than the thinned out tar that Ziebart used. Rust Chek will work its way down into lap joints and seams, something that is imprtant on old metal in our Jeeps.

I had the '48 Rust Chek'ed and in several areas around the lap seams in the bed I can see where the juice has worked its way along the seams. Now it did discolor the bed liner a bit, but I much prefer that to having it quietly rust away.

Well
    Getting the Orange Crate all loaded up to trek west, as Horace Greeley once said " Head West Young Man" I'm not real sure about young part but the bride and I are heading west.
    Rumor on the street is 4 of us guy's from this forum are meeting up at the Bmorgil Ranch and heading to the Toledo Jeep Fest for the weekend!!
    If anyone is coming or already there look us up because the Wonderful People at Kaiser Willys has sent us some really neat stuff to pass out, A Great Big Thanks to Mike, AmyB, RachelH and all the people at KW for getting so involved in such a Big Event!

IMG_3866.jpgIMG_3867.jpg
    Last edited by TJones; 08-06-2021 at 09:22 AM.

Ya gotta love a parade!!!!!

Of course there are the last minute questions from the longsuffering spouse:

"Are there going to be any other wives there?"

"Does Mrs. bmorgil know there are going to be people there by 3:30"?

"How many is she expecting for supper?"

My answers;" Yes dear, Yes, dear, All of us Dear."

A two hour plus road trip in a 73-year old truck will be the easy part.....
    Last edited by bmorgil; 08-06-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Go east Larry... just keep her headed east! Mrs bmorgil has no idea what to think of all this "Jeep Thing" stuff!