Thread: How to remove axle shaft?

How to remove axle shaft?

This is a ‘54 M38A1 that I am trying to change inner seals and bearings on the rear axle. I’ve watched videos but don’t know which apply to me. Is this axle shaft press fit and I use a puller or is there a pin holding shafts in the differential? I see a pin but can’t remove it cause the gear is blocking it. Forgive me I am new at this and don’t know much if it is a simple and obvious solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Allen, the putter bearing is tight in the putter axle housing. Most of the time, a few good raps with a deadblow against the axle castle nut,(put on to protect the threads) will pop the bearing out/axle out. Theses are semi floating axles, so there is nothing but the spline attached to the ring gear. The big pin in the carrier holds the spider gears in place. There is a guy on you tube that does a great job on showing the disassembly of the rear and front axle. He goes by metalshapper. He covers a lot of Willys work.

First Rule of Jeeps: What you see is what you have. Trust no paperwork of whatever anyone told you.

Second Rule of Jeeps: Use a bigger hammer - but use it gently.

No truer statement can be made. A big hammer with restraint.