Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: '46 CJ2A Parts Runner

Wow - that looks great! Love the way you did the wheels and tires. Glad to see your progress!!!

With three weeks remaining before heading north to Toledo, it was time to prep the Heep.

The first order of business was to finally make the ride actually road legal.... After years of buzzing around town without a current plate, it was time. On a side note, there was always insurance on the 2A, even when in storage. License plates just aren't a high priority in this neck of the woods. Temp tags are often just the dealership ad tag, and are kept on until they fade out in the sun. Since I took the time to haul the Heep to the DMV, I made the executive decision to spring for a vanity tag. The tag will read 46 Heep. If I had it to do over, I would have put down Heep 46 instead because at first glance it looks like 4SHEEP on the temp tag. Not optimal since I'm not a big fan of sheep/goats at all. Hopefully the real tag will have more prominent spacing.

The next order of business was to spray down the rough side with degreaser, and give it a good bath.

After that, the new LED headlights were installed. They are much better than the original three candle powered
    6 volt sealed beams.

Pictures will follow later on.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 07-12-2021 at 12:54 PM.

As promised, some photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow those lights look nice! I didn't get any sheep out of the plate gm, obvious to me the man's got a nice 46 "Heep"!

Those are pretty bright GM, she is looking good there Buddy!!!

I did an experiment with some Cheapo oven cleaner and the roll on bed liner that was applied to the floor, (yes, I did that, but at the moment, I thought the body was complete garbage). My intention is to pull the rubber liner up, and the other layers of paint to match the rest of the body. The oven cleaner would work better hot, so I applied it to the rubber and set it out in the 95 degree sun. After a half hour of baking, you could start to see the yellow house paint starting to show through. I blasted the cleaner off with the pressure washer to neutralize the acid, because a storm was off in the distance. Hopefully this up coming weekend will clear up and will see how much the rubber has loosened up. More to follow.

The Octane 6-volt lights became available after I started the LED light project on the '48. I was not sure if the black box with the DC-DC converter would fit in the existing headlight pan from just looking at the catalog pictures. How did you work it in?

Once you've driven behind LED lights, it turns you into a headlight snob... you notice how "yellow" other lights look. BUT - you can see and be seen. Put an LED in the back end lights too - it really does help out from the other side.

I still have to tidy up the installation of the harness. I have the converter box tucked down along the radiator shroud, but there may be just enough room at the bottom of the bucket for it to ride, and not be seen. I am wanting to only have the original looking cloth covered wires visible.

Man you all are getting ready. Exciting! Glad to learn about the better lights.

A few steps closer.

Once upon a time I threw down some DIY roll on bed liner down on the interior to help bind everything from flapping in the breeze. This was before I bit the bullet and ground all the paint off the exterior of the body. Knowing that the floors were pretty well hacked and in need of replacement, the bed liner was a temporary deal to fill in some rust holes to keep from losing pocket change or small children. After removing the multi layers of paint from the exterior, and falling in love with the "patina" of the Frankenstein brazed in patch panels, the choice was made to make the whole thing naked. With that being said, the endeavor was started a week ago to start stripping the layers of paint plus the layer of bed liner from the bed floor and wheel houses, (The front floors were left alone since they are sure enough cobbled together scrap pieces). Floor mats cover the front anyway, so it doesn't really matter. For the most part, the paint and liner came up, and presented the metal fairly decently. There was a lot of effort required to burr through it all, with a few spots that needed some paint stripper applied to soften up the liner. In my mind it was worth it the effort. If I get some time this week, I'll skim some mud over the holes where the hat channel rotted out the floor, but that may not be a huge priority.

The last two pictures are of dressing the steel to bring the shine back to the bare metal. The el-cheapo clear coat didn't really stop any surface rust from forming, so all of the clear coat is now removed. I ordered a product called Shark skin that is reviewed to be the hot ticket for bare metal hot rods to retain their fresh worked appearance. We will see by the time the road trip to Toledo happens to just how durable it is.

Last few things on the to-do list for this week;

Parking brake adjustment
    Service brake adjustment
    Coolant flush and refill
    Figure out where in God's creation I put the box containing the windshield to cowl rubber seal
    Pray for good weather for the weekend in Ohio
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 07-27-2021 at 03:12 AM.