Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: '46 CJ2A Parts Runner

The old fuel pump was installed somewhere around 2003. It was an Advanced Auto special. It still pumps, but is weak. Senior Chief, you are correct in saying that it was a good thing she didn't conk out at the parade. That wouldn't have been fun.

I've been around Ford tractors all my life, and spent several years working at a dealership until they became New Holland. I've had them torn apart from one end to the other, so I understand them pretty well. I have the service manuals in the bottom of my tool box as well. Plus the parts were generally universal through the 3cyl version. TJ, let me know what you find. Jeff, let me know what you want for yours? Much like Heeps, it doesn't hurt to have a couple laying around for spares.

The next project for the Heep is to add a back seat. This Heep has never been fitted with a seat, so there was a couple of things that needed to be done before the installation can begin. First 75 years of crud had to be blown out from under the front hold down straps. The second was to pop out the blanks that cover the rear mounting catches. The covers are formed to the body tub much like an electrical junction box. A hammer and a punch is all you need to pop them out. The new catches for the rear legs fit well, and we're of really good quality. Kaiser Willys did well in sourcing them. The seat frame was is a Omix repro, and it was a bit out of square, and it took some tweaking to get it to fit in the mounts. Some of the difficulties came from the Heep itself with the bed being beat up as well. The seat covers and foam were pretty straightforward. Some stretching and clamping was needed to get everything in place. Neither the canvas or the seat frame was drilled, so you have to mark and center punch for the holes for the screws. The seat belts are a lap racing belt that can be quickly unhooked from the mount to keep out of the sun and weather. There are eye bolts that remain in the floor that the belts hook into. The eye bolts have a three inch fender washer to prevent the bolt pulling through the body.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love those "seat belts" gm! Those seat catches were hard to get a couple years ago. I had to wait a while. I ordered from two different places and there was definitely a cheap one and a nice one.

LarrBeard is familiar with "panic at the parade", he lived it in my Jeep. If it wasn't for his coffee cup.....

The seat belt latches look like what belongs in my 1942 Piper Cub (L4 Grasshopper). I don’t know if the FAA would allow the quick removal option but it would be handy because the front seat belt can interfere with the rear seat rudder pedals.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

Those are "Sit down, buckle up, shut up and hold on" seat belts!!!

I originally was looking for an vintage aircraft look, but I went with the quick release option for times I don't need them, they can be folded up and put in the tool bin to stay out of the sunlight.

Since the weather was decent, the Heep traveled just shy of 100 miles this weekend. If the rain holds off on Thursday evening, she'll get to go on her second parade for the year in one of the local Christmas parade. We found a bunch of LED battery powered Christened lights and various other ornaments to add some flair.

Looking Good gm!!!
    Those belts are the best for sure!!!

The Heep covered in lights in the parade is a required photo.

I haven't decided on whether I'm going to trailer it, or drive it. To drive it would take around an hour over back roads, through some questionable neighborhoods, in order to not get run over on the high way. But I will get some photos and post. As of this morning, there is a 20% chance of rain. Maybe it will be like the Toledo parade and only get three sprinkles on the windshield at the end.

May it never rain on your parade gm!