Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: '46 CJ2A Parts Runner

This 2A was just about twice the weight of a normal 2A, for all the filler added to it. The hood was at least a 1/2" thick with plastic. As you stated, the underlying sheet metal wasn't that bad. Pieces of sheet metal were scabbed above the original metal, but the scabs rusted out faster than the original. Bondo was plastered on top of the scabs to resemble the original lines. After several hours of running a nylon brush over the body, I ended up with a pile of filler on the floor, and a tub that was a patchwork of metal. I'm going to keep the tub as is for now, and just shot a new coat of clear coat on to preserve the sheet metal. Someday down the road, the tub will get pulled, and new metal will be applied to make it like new. For now, it will be a good parts runner.

After the Long hibernation of our little 2A, it was time to show it some love. Since the garage-ma-hall now has a functional, freshly shingles roof, it was time to dig our little chariot out of the back shed.

The first order of business was to throw the charger on the Wally World special 6 volt battery.... Why any 6 volt battery made always has a dead cell after a year, even after topping off the cells with distilled water before being put away, is beyond me.

Anyway, it was time to shop around for a new set of shocks. Being a frugal shopper, I searched all of my usual suspects. Epay, 1/4 ton and Military, Kaiser Willys, and the like. KW beat everyone with not only the total price and the free shipping to boot. Win/win in my book. Now the Heep has new shocks on all four corners, with the only snag being one of the cotter pins needing to be drilled out. Not too bad in my book.

Since now there are four, fully functional shocks on board, the next item that needed attention is the missing front bumper. The as found bumper was a piece of schedule 40 steel pipe. Bubba barn yard engineering at its best. The real sad part was the "original" frame horns. They were there under a cladding of odds and ends from the pile the scrap yard rejected. The reasoning for the garbage truck refugees was that the Jeep was at one time used as a snow plow rig. The constant curbing, and salt destroyed the front frame horns and front crossmember. Being the relentless tight wad, I looked at the frame replacement sections offered, and kicked around the notion, but went instead to my small hoard of odds and ends. I had a 3A frame that was less then ideal, because it was rescued from many of years being burried in a creek bank. The redeemable quality was that the frame horns were pretty good, but the crossmember was trashed. At least I was 2/3 the way there. After several inspirational whiskey cokes, and a few Marlboros, and a lot of starring at the center section of the crossmember, I figured I could section in the rotten ends, and salvage the center section. $20 bucks worth of fresh steel from the local steel yard, and the plan came together. After this being done several years back, I'm not sure if I could tell you where it was spliced, except for where the paint changes back to multi color. As usual, I've strayed from the story a bit. Back to the front bumper. I purchased a 2A USA built front bumper that is spot on.... As long as your front frame horns are also 2A, and not 3A. I'd be perturbed if I had not planned ahead. The big difference is that the 2A steps down just after of the bumper. In my hoarding of small piles of parts, I had saved an early front gussets for a '46.

This brings you up to speed to where I'm at today. The gusset are separated, (top side) from the old horns, and painted. The frame is touched up with a little rattle can. Now it will just take a little adjustments here and there to install bumper.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 06-08-2020 at 12:54 PM.

I love the way you put these old things back together! It is as original as it gets. All the right pieces put back together again. A true restoration.

I got a chuckle out of garage-ma-hall. Just when you think you've heard it all. Dang...
    "Options are for girls"

I like it!

Garage - MA-hall was my original shop where I lived at my last profession. The city inspector was peeved that he ok'd the plans without studying the dimensions.... The footprint was right per the requirements to be the same as the house. The height was where he had a stroke. The ceiling was vaulted, with 22' from the center to the floor. The walls were 12' 8". Plenty of room for four 4 post storage lifts like what TJones has, or at least that was the plan. Oh well, someday when I figure out a permanent home, I'll build another, but that was way back when I was single with money.

That's a great great jeep. My favorite part is the relentless tightwad. I do not know how such man owns a Jeep project.

You acquire all the cast offs from other hoarders, keep the salvageable items then scrap the rest. Just think of Sanford and Son, without the son.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"But Mom, it followed me home,can I keep it?"

Great story