Thread: Help with M38

Help with M38

Greetings,

Have a 52'M38 that is having some issues and hope someone on here can give some insight. I can get the jeep running and it idles well, however, when trying to drive it and as it warms up it will lose power, hesitate, buck and chug, backfire and want to stall, it can also be a bear to try and start when the problems arise too. It feels like it's not getting fuel. I did find a crack in the exhaust manifold and it has been replaced with a new exhaust manifold with the heat riser, a new intake was also put on at the same time. A new/rebuilt YS 637 was put on, new dual action fuel pump, fuel pick up and 24v sending unit, also changed the inline fuel filter. Also replaced the distributor cap as it was cracked, new points, rotor, condenser, 24V coil and plugs. Still having the same issue, it has been timed at a garage but continues to fail on the road. What am I missing? Any thoughts on what the heck is going on. Has anyone ever had this issues and if so what is the solution?? Any feedback will be most appreciated!! Thanks!

GHillie,

Just a few questions/checklist.
    1. Does the engine stall when revved at no load, or only on the road? Runs fine under no load at all RPM ranges, then look at spark more than fuel.
    2. Has a compression test been performed? If the rings are weak, they will compress when warm, loosing compression.
    3. Is the Jeep stored outside? Water in fuel?
    4. Timing was checked, but what about the dwell at the points?
    5. Fuel line too close to the exhaust?
    6. Valves been adjusted?

This sounds to me more of a timing issue all the way around. Perform a tach and dwell, look at the points and condenser. Let us know what you find, then we will go from there.