Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeepster FEVER

Jeepster FEVER

OMW , I purchased a 1970 Jeepster Commando little over a month ago. My wife asked me to wait until January to start my restoration project ..couldn't wait....I removed the transmission , transfer case , gas tank , wheels , hubs....The FUN has begun so I will be posting pictures and progress but most of all I will need lots of questions answered because I am very new to this....thanks in advance to all that has been thru what I am getting myself into....LOL

I am with you brother learning as I go. Maybe we can share some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by 1948 Cal Willys Pickup View Post
    I am with you brother learning as I go. Maybe we can share some ideas.
    Sharing ideas would be great....look forward to pictures from your restoration...and I will post pictures of my Jeepster ...just started taking pictures so I will post soon....
    First question though is I removed the gas tank and the gas line due to lots of hose clamps , which seems to be a future problem so should I install a new rubber hose or something else steel , stainless etc..?

I am faced with the same dilemma. The old lines were all metal and the replacement was rubber. I haven't done any research yet but plan on going with rubber lines. They are cheaper, easier to install and could look pretty clean. Like I said though I haven't done the research yet but want to see the benefits of having hard lines if there are any.

O my.....the ball and chain is so mad at me for working on my Jeepster.....transmission and transfer case just Took me so long to redo....it's all back together and reinstalled so one milestone is complete and may have to put the old thing on hold a few weeks.....a least until she calms down....

I'm fortunate mine just lets me do what I do as long as I do what she says. When I am working on the truck she leaves me alone.

I'm fortunate mine just lets me do what I do as long as I do what she says. When I am working on the truck she leaves me alone.
    The California air must help with that here seems to be hot and humid kinda like the attitudes ....it's all good I did say I would wait a few months before I start this project because I have a few going already but some how I managed to work my way towards this thing .....so how is your truck coming ? You drive it some now don't you ?

No she is down to the frame and rear suspension. When I pulled the front apart the spring was broke, a hangar was smashed and in general disrepair. I got new springs but still waiting on the hardware. To be honest the hardware may be wrapped up in the springs but I havent had time to check yet. Been busy at work and kids fall baseball. Maybe this weekend if kids boyscouts dont eat too much of it. Oh yeah while I was wire brushing the front axel I think I may have torn a seal. Got a puddle of axel juice all over the garage floor. Of course the wifey let me know that.

No she is down to the frame and rear suspension. When I pulled the front apart the spring was broke, a hangar was smashed and in general disrepair. I got new springs but still waiting on the hardware. To be honest the hardware may be wrapped up in the springs but I havent had time to check yet. Been busy at work and kids fall baseball. Maybe this weekend if kids boyscouts dont eat too much of it. Oh yeah while I was wire brushing the front axel I think I may have torn a seal. Got a puddle of axel juice all over the garage floor. Of course the wifey let me know that.
    Axel juice with absorbent has made my shop floor look like a sand box for my grandbabies.....I am learning as I go and the computer Internet has been my helper with a lot of my repairs....best of luck on your truck I do understand about this thing called life , reality and kids....and my case now (3) grandkids and not the end in site....but to see and hear about a project done right is an inspiration to make me try to do the same so let patients guide you.....I don't have but I am going to try....talk again soon....by the way where in California I have a sister in San Diego ....

Back on the Jeepster again, this time it's to repair some holes in the floor under each seat ...some of the structural members are bad and in need to be removed and new installed....I will start with a side arm grinder and remove the rusted out metal and see where it Go's ....