Thread: Help identify this Willys

Question Help identify this Willys

I found this picture of my Grandfather with his Willys in a 1949 school yearbook. He was the Superintendent of Maintenance for a central Illinois school district. I am trying to identify the year and model of his Willys. Is this a CJ2?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sensei Mark,

You are correct, it is a CJ2A. The two glass swing out windshield would be the first clue. The year would be a 1947 through 1948, being that the picture was taken in 1949. I can not see clearly the front frame horns to determine how the front bumper is attached, (frame gussets or bolted to the end of the frame as the later 2As were bolted directly to the frame horn.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-21-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately this is the only picture that I have. I do know that the top was yellow, but all of my relatives that knew anything about the Willys have passed on from this world.

It's hard to know for sure what the true color was. The photo tone led me to think it was a lighter tone, but the wheels are most likely tan. The top is an aftermarket hard top. It is a good photo, and a great piece of family history.

The '46 2A that we are driving around was originally from Central Illinois. When I cut through the paint and bodyfiller, the original color was Normandy blue.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-22-2018 at 06:59 AM.

This picture was taken in Carlinville, Illinois.