Thread: solex real or fake

solex real or fake

hello can someone tell me when solex stoped putting their name on their carbs /my 20 year old solex has it on two places top and side/i don't see it on any of the newer carbs/thanks Art

I would guess somewhere in the confusion below (from Wikipedia):

1905: The company was created by Maurice Goudard and Marcel Mennesson, both graduates of the École Centrale Paris.
    1973: the carburetor division is taken over by Matra, and later by Magneti Marelli, then by Renault and Motobécane in 1974.
    1983: Motobécane is bought by Yamaha and becomes MBK.
    1988: production in France, at Saint-Quentin, ends.
    Circa 2001 production ceased in China and restarted in France.
    In June 2004, the mark "Solex" was bought by the French group CIBIÉ
    In October 2005 CIBIÉ launches the e-Solex, designed by Pininfarina and produced in China (400 W brushless electric motor, 35 km/h, autonomy of 30 km)[1]
    In 2009, CIBLE launches the e-Solex 2.0, a new version with a lithium polymer battery
    Solex, Velosolex and Solexline are trademarks, property of SINBAR SARL
    The trademark "VELOSOLEX" is the property of Velosolex America LLC who markets the Velosolex worldwide.
    Jeff
    '51 CJ3A
    '47 CJ2A

In my opinion, money well spent is on a Carter carb. If you have an older Solex, and it has been a good carb, then it would be worth a shot to try and rebuild it. My experience with Solex is it is good until you can find a good rebuild able Carter. The Solex is much like a Chevy Rochester quadrajet or a Chrysler Carter thermoquad. When they work, they are good, but when they don't, you hate life.

Old Jeep Carbs LLC. Is the best source of information, advice, or service on carburetors.

http://oldjeepcarbs.com/
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-31-2018 at 04:36 AM.