Thread: People Love Old Trucks - A "Ham's 48" Story

People Love Old Trucks - A "Ham's 48" Story

The local Corvette Club stages a number of shows for charitable organizations and the one Saturday was to support a program for the local Health Center. It had fire trucks, EMS ambulances, a local hospital helicopter (until it had to go to work) and a lot of sharp cars.

There was a steady string of people who wanted to talk about the truck, how it had been in the family since 1954, being daily driver and working for a living until 1975, sitting in the barn for 35-years and the two-year restoration.

Now, I have learned that judging at these shows tends to have a GM flavor - after all, it is sponsored by a Corvette Club. It was very hot; 92-degrees in a parking lot is really hot - and the show wrapped up early because folks were leaving. At awards time most of the award plaques went to GM vehicles. Now - they were very nice, nobody can fuss about an immaculate Olds 442 getting an award.

The best in show went to a visiting Corvette - club member cars don't get judged. The only hardware left to be awarded was a BIG trophy for the Sponsor's Award, so I figured it was time to load up the chair and cooler and head for the house.

You could have knocked me over with a feather when I heard "Sponsor's Choice - Larry's 1948 Willys-Overland Jeep Truck"! The folks know how to appreciate old Jeep trucks.

The trophy stands waist high and I need a stool to see the top of it when it sits on the fender. The only problem - it has a Corvette on top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congratulations Larry! Your hard work and attention to detail showed itself, and people took notice. You could probably find a Jeep or truck trophy topper on ebay, and save the Corvette for someone who would like it.

A quick story about Corvette folks. Growing up, the big thing every year was the Bloomington Gold Corvette show. It was chalked up to be the state fair for the upside down trihull cars. Corvettes show up from all over the world to be judged by their elevated standards. The founder of Bloomington Gold tried to expand the brand to other vehicles. He thought since they were located in the Midwest, he would try tractors. He owned an 8N Ford that was imaculant. The only problem was that the 3 point hitch would not raise. No problem usually, but with all time and money spent on the paint, we had to be very careful. No impact sockets could be used, matter of fact, we took rubber bands and put them around the bolts. A simple job was made difficult. The paint still had to be touched up where the three point housing separated from the rear end housing. The owner just didn't want the bolts and nuts disfigured by air tools.

What - no two cylinder Johnny Poppers?????

My wife has an every other week at the Wound Clinic and someone has left a bunch of John Deere magazines around the place for waiting room reading. It sure beats Women's Day and Family Circle!

If you think we like our Jeeps, we're just pikers compared to the John Deere Green people.

That's a nice looking truck Larry, congratulations. I would vote for it over a Corvette any day.

cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CONGRATS AND BET IT WAS A BIT OF A SHOCK..

True, John Deere folks are one of a kind. I've had a 41 styled B growing up, and have an A in storage, that belonged to my grandmother....(grandpa was a die hard Farmall man).