Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mr1964cj5

Ok I will let you know. Thank you so much for your help

In a private post - you wrote:

I used the 6 volt battery and tested generator. the volt meter reads voltage and as i increase engine speed it also increases voltage. Only thing is my Fluke meter shows negative number and wasnt sure it should. Everything is hooked up as it should. Please advise. Thanks

I'm going to repost this so everyone can learn from what we are trying to do here.

Interesting... that's a more professional way to say "What the heck is going on?"

A. The most common way that you would get a negative voltage out of the generator is to have the meter leads reversed. That is the simplest one to fix. The meter red lead goes to + (ARMATURE) , black to - (FRAME).

B. The next idea I have is that you have the field coils reversed. The positive terminal of that lantern battery is the one at the corner; the negative is the center spring. Make sure that you have the POSITIVE (corner) terminal connected to the FIELD terminal on the generator. If you got it backwards the first time, you swapped the North and South poles of the field pieces and, although I never have done this, it could swap polarity of the output from the ARMATURE. No problem - when you hook it up correctly, it will fix itself. Try again and make sure the corner spring (+) goes to the FIELD terminal, center spring (-) to the frame.

C. I don't see any way that the generator could be turning in the wrong direction ...

Let us know what you find - but even with a negative voltage I suspect you have a good generator. How many volts did you get when you spun it up?

I double checked all my connections and had everything right. I started engine and I have around 12volts at idle and as I increase engine speed it goes up to 40 plus but meter still shows minus sign. I’m not sure why it’s showing negative voltage. So then I decided to check the meter and battery and with the leads hooked to battery I get 6 volts and on the positive sign so I guess that confirms that the problem is not in the meter. Not sure what direction I need to go now. Not sure this is telling you much.

I was just giving this some thought and being that I just had this generator worked on and they put new fields in it is it possible to put them in wrong so as to run negative voltage?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1964cj5 View Post
    I was just giving this some thought and being that I just had this generator worked on and they put new fields in it is it possible to put them in wrong so as to run negative voltage?
    Well, I'd take it back to the shop and have them run it on the test bench just to make sure things are right. The 12 volts and 40 volts sound like what I would expect (now you know why I suggest you take off the ARM terminal...