Thread: 49 cj3a

49 cj3a

Have had Jeeps since I bought my 56 CJ5 in 69. Am in the process of getting my 49 CJ3A on the road again. Only had that one since 73. Dealing with a cracked block, and a rebuild, should be fun.

Welcome! Sounds like you are having fun so far.

Internal crack or external?

Can you get to it to fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Internal crack or external?

Can you get to it to fix it?
    Yeah, freeze crack. Ran it after it cracked, no water in the oil so I think (hope) it is external only. Going to lock-n-stitch it. We’ll see how that goes.

That's good that there is no oil and coolant are separated. I have seen several engines l stitched back together, with great success. An experienced farmer once had a Allis Chalmers WD45 that he used as an out of the field class tractor puller. The right side of the block had been blown out by ice. It looked like Frankenstein's daughter, but ran strong, after all the pieces were stiched back together, with a liberal coat of JB weld slathered over top. Good luck!

The one block I had to just give up on had a freeze crack down in the tunnel where the distributor drive shaft heads down to the oil pump. I even tried to make a sleeve that I drove into the tunnel and hoped Stop-Leak would seal it off. It didn't.

Bubba, the shade tree mechanic, had to give up on that one. I ended up swapping that pile of bones to a guy for $100 and he put a new barrel on a 98 Mauser for me.

I'm going to use a whole bunch of JB Weld to try to patch the rust holes in the oil cup on a Donaldson air cleaner that I just finished wire brushing. It cost me a couple of wire brush wheels and about 2 square inches of skin. (Don't ask any questions). If it doesn't work out, I'll line the cup with foil and use a oil saturated piece of foam as a dust trap for the meanwhile.

LOL You sound a lot like me. BTW i do have another L134 in a 49? Jeepster that has nearly returned to the earth. If you know anyone looking for minor parts like a rear end or overdrive transmission, let me know.