Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with 1967 Jeepster

Help with 1967 Jeepster

Jeep has not been driven since Nov lots of new parts etc. started fine. Put in gear and would not roll. Revel up but seemed like all brakes were on. Any ideas? Thanks

Stella,

The first place to look would be the brake hoses. Over time, the hoses collapse internally. This allows brake fluid to go to the brake assemblies, but doesn't allow it to return to the master cylinder. The fix is to replace all three rubber hoses, two from the frame to the front wheels, and one over the rear axle.

Let us know what you find.

We did that this spring. New shoes wheel cylinders brakes hoses master cylinder emergency brake cable. Thanks for your response. Any other ideas?

A few more questions.

Are you able to adjust the brake adjuster to remove tension on the shoes, or are brake shoes locked tight to the drums?

Are all 4 tires locked up?

Where the brake lines replaced?

Brake pedal feel? (how much play, is it rock hard when applied, or will it return after application)

If all four wheels are locked up, then the problem lies on the master cylinder.

If all checks out minus the wheels locking up, then I would remove the lines to the master cylinder. Install an old line or a scrap piece of new line, and run into a clear cup of brake fluid. Apply the brake pedal and observe the movement of fluid. The front and rear are different circuits, so the problem should be able to isolate from there.

We are going to jack up rear end tonight. We think it is the e brake. Replaced front cable but not back ones. We are going to disconnect and I will order new. It would go in reverse but not forward. We will check and see if tires turn once it’s in the air. We put new master cylinder on also. All was working with brakes. All new parts. Thanks

Was not ebrake. We engaged clutch and could push forward. I Lao started it and could back up. But I found reverse where 1st should be. This is the F 134 engine with 3 speed. I heard someone refer to it as a “short throw”. Anyway deduction is transfer case. We removed a tag on case that had been stamped 300596-18. Below that is 942534. Do you know what that means? Would it be a Dana 18? Should I buy a new TC or have someone in the know tear it apart? I am not that Davy about mechanical issues and depend on the honesty of others to advise me. Thanks.

The shift pattern for the three speed is top left Reverse. Bottom left is first, then top right is second, with third being third. With the transmission in neutral, will the jeep roll? The transfer case only selects 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive high range and 4 wheel drive low range. If the transfer case were to be the culprit, you would most likely be stuck in neutral, or stuck in one of the ranges. If this has been an issue by any of the previous owners, then there would typically be a hole punched through the passenger side of the transmission tunnel. This would have been done to stick a pry bar in the linkage to "help" the transfer case shift into gear. Your Jeepster should have a single shifter that controls the T-case operation. That will be the Spicer 20, the older version with two shifters is the Spicer 18.

Your problem sounds to be a transmission issue. The shifter rails will allow the gear to engage reverse, but it is not allowing the reverse gear and low to shift enough to engage first. If you pull the transmission tunnel cover, and shifter assembly, you'll see rust on the slide rods. A quick clean up would get you by, but if there is rust, then you would be looking at a transmission rebuild in your future.

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/diagram...-willys-cj-5-6

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...ons/manual/t90
    Last edited by gmwillys; 07-13-2018 at 01:10 PM.

Thank you so much. I have a gentleman coming Monday that is familiar with older keeps so I will share this with him. I have been looking in the manual and getting familiar with diagrams. Thank you again. Do you think I should buy a new transfer case? Or try a good cleaning and lube first.

A quick thing to do would be to drail the oil out of the transmission/transfer case. If there is water that comes out, then you will lickly have rust issues in both. The transmission still sounds to be were I would focus my attention. The transmission and transfer case both share gear lube/oil. Let us know what you find.

Strangely enough, when we were restoring the '48 truck, manual transmission repairs weren't all that expensive here in NE Indiana.

If you get them a KWAS repair kit, most shops don't see a three-speed manual box as that big a mystery.