Thread: Steve Bonny + 47 CJ2a

Steve Bonny + 47 CJ2a

New member here. English guy living in Iowa. Just saying hello. I bought a rusty 47 CJ2a on Ebay last fall and spent the winter getting it running. Replaced the body tub, new wiring, guages etc. Most of the mechanicals appear to be in decent working order although it needed some brake work and the rear hubs were falling off! New wheels and tires.
    I got it road legal this spring and have about 100 miles just running short errands etc.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveBonny View Post
    New member here. English guy living in Iowa. Just saying hello. I bought a rusty 47 CJ2a on Ebay last fall and spent the winter getting it running. Replaced the body tub, new wiring, guages etc. Most of the mechanicals appear to be in decent working order although it needed some brake work and the rear hubs were falling off! New wheels and tires.
    I got it road legal this spring and have about 100 miles just running short errands etc.
    Welcome to the colonies, and to the group.

You have teased us now - you have to post some pictures of the CJ 2A

Welcome to the states, and to the forum! As LarrBeard has said, we look forward to seeing your errand runner.

As requested, here is a picture. I'm actually broken down in this picture, waiting for a tow truck. I was off to the cardboard recycling dump but managed to plug the inlet screen to carb. Now sporting a fuel filter!
    CJ2a_1.jpg

Nice ride.

Well, when you run around in 70+ year old vehicles, you occasionally come home at the end of a rope or on a trailer. The '48 took a trailer ride one day because a new condenser ground strap wasn't connected to the body of the condenser!

The solution - drive them enough to find and solve all of the problems!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Haha, yep. Someone advised me to only drive it as far as I'm prepared to walk! Luckily I like walking. Hope to get some longer journeys pretty soon, I just need to do a little work on the windshield first. Nice looking truck by the way.

You have done well! A good walk happens, but the bugs will get worked out. Knock on wood, it's been several years since our 2A has acted up on a trip to town, but it's always possible. I keep a spare set of points and wire set under the passenger seat for good measure. If you have the stuff with you, then you never need them. Better to have and not need, then need and not have.