Thread: 1953 Willys Wagon F134 4x4

1953 Willys Wagon F134 4x4

Hello, my name is Mark but in some circles, known as OldIronMan. Not because I am old, not because I am strong, but because of my addiction to rusty iron, which in most cases, I consider it art. This is all dry humor so take it with a grain of salt.

My daily driver is a Wrangler 4 door. I bought my Willys a couple years back after seeing an ad in craigslist. I work on it very slowly. It starts and runs, all gears work. I was inspired by this vehicle on a trip to Mexico one year. I was in a remote area of the desert where there is a single mountain. Near the top of the mountain is a guy with an Willys wagon and he would give rides to folks even higher up in the mountains. He had a roof rack carrier type thing with a bench seat strapped to the top. While the bench seat ride looked interesting, I choose the horse option lol. I've been there several times to stay and the thought of that old Willys climbing around the mountain tops must have stayed in my mind because when I spotted the one in CL, I couldn't pass it up. I really don't know much about them but I'm intrigued and I'm anxious to learn. I have a shop full of tools and I actually know how to use them but I'll be the first to admit that sometimes I can be pretty ignorant and I need to be pointed in the right direction.

That's all I have for now but thank you in advance for letting me play in your sandbox.
    Mark
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the Willys that inspired me years ago while in Mexico. They would put people up on the roof carrier and give tours higher up on the mountain.219984_173687916020933_1684295_o.jpg

Welcome Mark.

We all have a lust for rust. Some polish up our Heeps until they shine again, and some not. I tend to like the well worn look, so I can appreciate your love affair for old iron. We will all be happy to give any guidance that you may seek, and look forward to reading more about your adventures. Our sand box is open to all who love Heeps. I have enclosed a picture of my piles.

I like them both !

I spent some time earlier in the summer to knock the surface rust off of the 2A, then applied a couple of quick coats of clear. The Heep had six coats of paint stacked on it over time, plus a liberal amount of filler. I thought that the body was going to be much worse than it actually was. After eating off all the paint, I really liked the natural look of the original steel. For now, it will get a biannual coat of clear, until the wagon is finished.