Thread: ID information

ID information

Hi, I am new to this forum. I just purchased a Jeep Willys as a project truck. I was told it is a 1947 Willys. The ID tag has a serial number of 454CE2 11711. Can anyone tell me more about this Willys? Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

One of the best sources of information about just when a Jeep may have been built is in the Jeep Hunters Field Guide in the front of the KWAS catalog. Go ahead and get one - it's free.

A 1947 truck would have had a serial number starting with 2T for 2-wheel drive trucks and 4T for 4-wheel drive trucks.

1947 numbers for trucks were 2T 10001 through 2T 12642 and 4T 10001 through 12346.

The serial number prefix you give (454CE2) doesn't show up in the KWAS list - which is a copy of several other lists. The closest I see is a prefix 454CA2 (1954 Sedan Delivery) or 454EC2 (1954 pickups).

It is not unheard of for people to swap serial plates.

The best way to get an idea of year for trucks is to post a picture of the hood and grill, windshield and rear window. Those features give us an idea or era if not exact year.

Here is my '48 truck. Fairly flat grill, not much point to the hood, two piece windshield and small rear window. Original engine was L-134 flathead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 08-14-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Thank you for the information. I purchased this as a project truck. The grill is fairly flat, not much point to the hood, it has a 2 piece windshield and the rear window is small. It did not come with an engine. It it stored 50 miles from where I live, so next time I am there I will take some pictures. Again, thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by willyspaul View Post
    Thank you for the information. I purchased this as a project truck. The grill is fairly flat, not much point to the hood, it has a 2 piece windshield and the rear window is small. It did not come with an engine. It it stored 50 miles from where I live, so next time I am there I will take some pictures. Again, thanks for the info.
    Pictures will help out, but from the details you share, I'll go with a first generation truck with a nameplate from something later. Just don't try to explain too much to the license bureau folks.