Thread: Thsi engine scrap or save?

Threaded View

Thsi engine scrap or save?

Hello all,

Have a cj3a.
    Originally I was told the starter was stuck lol..not the case...engine was frozen and I mean frozen.

Had all sorts of things sitting on top the the cylinders trying to free them. From brake fluid to mystery oil and pb blaster and a variety of mixes.
    Let them soaks for weeks.

Finally with a little elbow grease and a soft blow hammer was able to knock the cylinders out.

The motor is now fully disassembled and for what I can see it look like water leaked into the top end and did some damage. The worst of which is on the deck where the rust has eaten into it. My first though was heck I'll just throw down some jb weld and sand it flat! But how well would that hold? Second thought is to have the deck shaved but is there enough material for that without having to shave the cylinder heads as well? I've added some pics to show you what I'm working with.

Seeing a new core runs around $1600 I'm willing to try anything to get this motor running again. Not a daily driver just a ranch jeep until I can afford a new block or find a used one on craigslist.

my plan as of now, jb weld the deck, hone the block, clean up the cylinders add new gaskets and see what happens..the cost of which is just a gasket set and time..

Thanks

Kris
    Attached Images Attached Images