Thread: New To Me 1948 Willys Cj2A

New To Me 1948 Willys Cj2A

Howdy folks! Looks like a great place for great information!

I just bought a project CJ2A from an old doctor who lost interest after over half of the resto was done. Rolling chassis with rebuilt engine, rebuilt tranny, new brakes, lines, and hubs, and the frame is straight and in great shape. The tub needs work, but he had also bought the repair pieces of sheet metal that just needs welded on. If I wasn't going for a restoration I "could" throw the old tub back on and I'm sure it would be an ugly beat up driver.

I did a little math on a lot of parts that were included like the sheet metal and new wiring harness and just those are worth over twice the $1500 I paid for the whole thing. I'll need a ton of new hardware because there are a lot of loose nuts and bolts in a box, but I don't know what they go to.

I'll probably be asking alot of questions in the near future when I get some time to play around with reinstalling everything. Should be a lot of fun. I actually just finished a full restore on a 1952 Ford 8N tractor, and this doesn't look too much more difficult.

42432243_10215232293193651_2381261728693354496_o.jpg

Great Find!

Once again just being in the right place at the right time overcomes skill, cunning and forethought.

Post pictures as you bring it back to life.

Well, hi there neighbor! I lived in Ft Wayne for about 20 years and then moved to Huntington 9 years ago to get out of the city and back to my roots in the country. I work at the Air Guard base at the FWA airport, A-10 maintenance Crew Chief.

I'll keep a picture journal of my Willys progress.

Welcome, and thank you for your service! An A-10 is an awesome piece of hardware. An airplane that is just a holster for the Gatling gun.

You got a heck of a deal on your 2A. If you can restore an 8N Ford, then this will be a walk in the park.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 09-26-2018 at 08:49 AM.

I brought my '48 truck to Fort Wayne in 1998. I worked at Magnavox in the military radio section and drove the truck daily. About 1976 I took a job at Memcor in Huntington (out on Flax Mill Road) and the Jeep just wouldn't get me there and back in the same day, so it went to the garage, then the barn and there it sat for 35 years.

I live out east of FWA just off 469 and its not unusual for the Black Snakes to overfly the house, often a three plane section with #3 just joining up. (For other readers, Black Snakes is the A-10 squadron nickname for the 122nd Fighter Wing at Fort Wayne)

I offer my usual advice. Go get a Shop Manual for the CJ2A, and a Parts Manual as well. You well appreciate the need for accurate tech info. Ask questions of this group. We've been there, done that - probably did it wrong the first time and have dirty t-shirts and skinned knuckles to prove it.

The attached photo is me and the '48 arriving at Kendallville early this month for the Main Street Car Show. I'm suspicious of those ol' boys casting an eye on my truck.

Take a minute to read the posts from Ira (USMC-Retired), author of "Well- the darned thing is out..." for a blow by blow account of bringing an M38A1 back to life.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LarrBeard; 09-26-2018 at 08:31 AM.

That truck is beautiful!

Thanks for the tips.