Thread: Quick question about painting

Quick question about painting

Hey guys.

I'm using Rapco/Gillespie (in the spray cans) to paint a few smaller parts that will be outside in the sun/elements 24/7.

Will this paint need some kind of clear coat to keep it safe? Just want to avoid any "bleeding" or UV damage, etc.

If it does need a clear coat, any recommendations?

Thanks!

Comma,

It all depends on the color that you have painted the parts with, and how you want it to look when finished. Most of the Gillespie line is catered to the military color schemes, so I will assume that you are possibly doing a flat OD? It is not recommended to clear coat a single stage paint. With that being said, The rule mainly goes to automotive finishes, with high dollar paint, and fancy guns. I myself have sprayed a cheap clear coat upon my 2A's fenders after applying a single stage Rustoleum flat black, to minimize the scratches and rock chips. It has held up alright for the most part, and didn't change the hue of the flat black much at all. I used a Rustoleum clear coat, so it was compatible with the color coat. I didn't see any clear offered from Gillespie, but I would imagine that you wouldn't have much difficulties when using something that is compatible with acrylic.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Comma,

It all depends on the color that you have painted the parts with, and how you want it to look when finished. Most of the Gillespie line is catered to the military color schemes, so I will assume that you are possibly doing a flat OD? It is not recommended to clear coat a single stage paint. With that being said, The rule mainly goes to automotive finishes, with high dollar paint, and fancy guns. I myself have sprayed a cheap clear coat upon my 2A's fenders after applying a single stage Rustoleum flat black, to minimize the scratches and rock chips. It has held up alright for the most part, and didn't change the hue of the flat black much at all. I used a Rustoleum clear coat, so it was compatible with the color coat. I didn't see any clear offered from Gillespie, but I would imagine that you wouldn't have much difficulties when using something that is compatible with acrylic.
    Thanks for the reply. Yes, it is a flat OD. It's an enamel paint (not acrylic).
    I'm fine not using a clear coat if this paint will hold up to the weather and flake or drip off in the rain (I had a painted hard top for an old jeep and every time it was hot and rained, the color ran down in water all over my Jeep. Trying to avoid something like this)

Would a clear coat like this work? I have 3 cans of it and was curious if I could get rid of it for this project

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I miss spoke/typed when I said acrylic. Most all military paint is enamel, as you stated.

I have stripped my 2A down to bare metal, and am planning to keep it that way until I can finish our wagon project. This summer I stripped the old cheapo clear coat because surface rust was bleeding through. I was short on time, so I used the Rust-Oleum clear coat, the same as you have pictures. With three months worth of weather and dust exposure, I think it is holding up nicely. Since you are coating existing paint, you should have no issues.

I miss spoke/typed when I said acrylic. Most all military paint is enamel, as you stated.

I have stripped my 2A down to bare metal, and am planning to keep it that way until I can finish our wagon project. This summer I stripped the old cheapo clear coat because surface rust was bleeding through. I was short on time, so I used the Rust-Oleum clear coat, the same as you have pictures. With three months worth of weather and dust exposure, I think it is holding up nicely. Since you are coating existing paint, you should have no issues.
    Thanks! So you used that matte clear, 2x rustoluem? They also make a matte clear enamel, but I already have a few cans of the ones listed above so I figured I would try to use those if possible.

I'd have to look to be sure to which one I used. I doubt it was enamel, but will not swear to it. It was matte clear, that much I know for sure.

Included are the before and after pictures. There was some gloss to it, but it calmed down to matte after it dried, and sat out in the sun for a day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd have to look to be sure to which one I used. I doubt it was enamel, but will not swear to it. It was matte clear, that much I know for sure.

Included are the before and after pictures. There was some gloss to it, but it calmed down to matte after it dried, and sat out in the sun for a day.
    Thanks! Helpful to see the before/after
    Have you had any issues with rust coming through?

Not a bit. We drive down the dirt roads, then hose it off. When there isn't a hurricane blowing through, it stays in the driveway with a tarp thrown over it. I'm pleased with the clear coat thus far. It looks like it will hold up pretty well.