Thread: 71 Jeep Renegade II

Hybrid View

71 Jeep Renegade II

Im restoring a 1971 Renegade II and I would like to re-upholster the seats in a material close as possible to the original. Has a black & gray strip inset, black outsides. I had taken to upholstery shop and they have not been able to find something similar. Does anyone have any suggestions??

Looking around at some of the web sights, I couldn't come up with anything but the Levi edition seat covering. A custom upholstery shop should be able to fabricate a seat cover that will mirror the originals. If I remember correctly, the bolsters are black, with the grey center panels. I tried looking up examples to confirm this thought, but came up empty except for the Levi edition. Post a picture of what you have, for us to get a better understanding of what you have. Thank you, and welcome to the forum.

Jeep seat.jpgJeep seat.jpgJeep seat.jpgThank you for your help, you are correct the bolsters are black and the center panels are black/grey stripe. I will try to attach a photo. I took them to an upholstery shop over a mo ago, but they said they haven't been able to find anything comparable.

I understand better now. The black and grey pinstripe will be difficult to find, but I'm sure it's not impossible. I'm going to look through some AMC sources, because the pattern may have been used prior in a Rambler American. AMC liked to recycle ideas from time to time.

Update; I have searched around, and have come up with a close substitute, but will continue to look.

https://smsautofabrics.com/collections/vinyl?page=57 1962 Buick The stripes are not the same width as your original, but would look alright in a pinch.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 10-05-2018 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    I understand better now. The black and grey pinstripe will be difficult to find, but I'm sure it's not impossible. I'm going to look through some AMC sources, because the pattern may have been used prior in a Rambler American. AMC liked to recycle ideas from time to time.

Update; I have searched around, and have come up with a close substitute, but will continue to look.

https://smsautofabrics.com/collections/vinyl?page=57 1962 Buick The stripes are not the same width as your original, but would look alright in a pinch.
    Thank you so much! I will check this out and get it over to the upholstery shop. Sure appreciate your help, maybe Im being too picky but since the Renegade II's are so rare I would sure like to have it close to original.

No problem. If I were to bring either one of my heeps back to factory condition, I would want to be picky as well.
    I'm going to look into the upholstery company to match up the seat covers for our wagon. I'm leaving the exterior patina, but going to respray the interior, and recover the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    No problem. If I were to bring either one of my heeps back to factory condition, I would want to be picky as well.
    We know how good a job we did on rebuilding the brakes or transfer cases, but most people only see the exterior and interior when they look over our masterpieces. Taking the additional effort to get things just right pays off there.

When we restored the ’48, I wanted to get things as close to the original as I could. Fortunately we had a good sample of the original seat cover material hiding under the grey covers I had done in about ’66. We were able to find a bus and truck upholstery material that came close to the original and that matched the Tunisian Red original color closely. I did cheat a bit – I added the cream pin-stripe bead to match the “Lamb’s Wool” cream color of the interior trim (also close to original).

Even our wives told us it turned out well!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow what a neat project, thank you for the photos, love seeing finished products! I do like the pin stripe bead you added. Thanks!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shari@bpigj.com View Post
    Wow what a neat project, thank you for the photos, love seeing finished products! I do like the pin stripe bead you added. Thanks!
    As we say down home:

"Yew Weckum"

Thank you for your help, I will probably have a lot of questions during this process, luckily my dad is a jeep guy (has about 25 of them in his collection) has been rebuilding them his whole life, he is almost 80 now so I want to do this one while we can work on it together