Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carter vs Solex gas mileage.

Ok, thanks. It is geared pretty low too.

Most likely you have a 5.38 gear. A 4.88 would help, but there is a gear set available for a 3.54. You may would want to check into an overdrive unit. Then you would #1 keep the RPM down for increased engine life. #2 increased highway Sprint speed. #3 an increase in MPG at cruising speed.

That would work but I've already spent a ton of money on this Jeep. Mechanically, it's as good as anyone can make it. I need to drive it now. What it really needs is a new body. I don't think I'm going to be able to afford that.

The Jeep doesn't have to be pretty, just as long as it gets you to where you want to go. In my opinion, I would not invest in a reproduction steel body, but I would purchase American made replacement panels. A piece here and there, then eventually you'll have what you need. I stripped the paint off of our 2A, thinking that it was a complete Illinois rust pile. After chewing through six layers of paint, and a half inch of body filler, the body wasn't as bad as I thought. There are some panels that have been brazed in, so it gave it a look that is unique. I'm going to keep the bare metal look for a while, or at least until I gather all the steel to replace the floors and side panels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Jeep is an old farm Jeep from Iowa. It is extremely rusted. There is no solid metal. The underside is especially bad. It didn't even set level on the frame when I bought it. I ran a piece of channel iron under it behind the seats to level it on the frame. Previous owners have fixed the body several times and repainted it several times. I was probably foolish to buy it. I traded a shotgun and $100 for it and it barely worth that. I have over $4000 in it now. (Mostly from KaiserWillys) It had good tires, a very good motor and a good drive train but that was all it had going for it.

The wiring was rotten so previous owner cut out all the wires everywhere and stripped everything behind the dash but the speedometer. Then he realized he didn't know how to rewire it. That is what I do best. It had a plastic gas tank out of a boat. The radiator leaked, the water pump leaked, all the hoses were rotten. I replaced the entire brake system. The springs and shock were bad. The ring gear on the flywheel was bad. I keep a log on all of my vehicles and I have a long list of parts I've replaced. But it has 140 to 145 psi compression. That's more than it had new. I runs and drives great. I use Mobil 1 motor oil in it.

So far I have paid cash for everything. I won't buy a body until I can pay cash for that. I'm retired now and that probably won't happen. My grandson has his eye on it. He may be the one to replace the body. I'm done some research into it but I haven't made any decisionBefore 1.jpg10720939_10204844861619541_89518884_n.jpg10717772_10204844858659467_1514348553_n.jpg10716112_10204844858939474_1792581166_n.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Go Joe; 11-02-2018 at 03:09 PM.

It will only let me post a few pictures. Here is what it looks like now. https://www.facebook.com/joel.merril...5366007&type=3