Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carter vs Solex gas mileage.

I am replacing my solex with a carter YF. The solex floods very easy and floods out while driving. I have had a lot of trouble adjusting the solex with that piston choke. I have had carter on my other Jeep and it worked much better.

Fuel Pump Pressure

[QUOTE=Go Joe;6078]That's what I put on, that's where I got it and that's what it's set at. I didn't think that cheap electric fuel pump put out that much. I tested it and it puts out 5 1/2 psi. /QUOTE]

Let's hope that fixes things. I didn't think a rebuilt Jeep pump would put out over 8 PSI either, but wow!, was I wrong.

If that doesn't fix things, we'll guess something else.

I took the old girl on a 36 mile round trip this afternoon. That's the farthest its been in decades, maybe ever. It did just fine.

Good deal. Did your millage improve?

I don't know yet. It still seemed like it took quite a bit but it only has a 10 gallon tank. I filled it up when I got back and wrote down the miles. I'll calculate my mileage the next time I fill up. It definitely runs better.

I posted this on another question regarding the carburetor debate.

One thing I didn't think about, was the heat riser vane in the intake manifold. The guy that runs the old Jeep carb website posted this;

Post by scoutpilot on 3 hours ago

Without a properly functioning heat riser valve, going after the carburetor will frustrate the living heck out of you. If the valve is stuck in the open (cold) position, heat from the exhaust will continuously bathe the bottom of any carb you put up there. The heat will cause the gas in the bowl to boil. The resulting pressure will force fuel past any metering device and flood the manifold.

My old 1956 Jeep doesn't have a heat riser. I'll be buying gas in a couple days and I'll calculate the mileage.

I bought gas just now. I got 13.4 mpg. I was hoping it would be a little better than that.

That is excellent milage. I have had a lot of jeeps and my milage was between 9 and 11.

Gas Mileage

Quote Originally Posted by Go Joe View Post
    I bought gas just now. I got 13.4 mpg. I was hoping it would be a little better than that.
    That's not bad. The F-134 in the 3200-pound truck gets about 12 mpg, depending on hills and headwind.