Thread: Just got my first Willys...might need your help.

Smile Just got my first Willys...might need your help.

Hey all, I just got my first Willys from my dad. It's a 1960 Willys Jeep CJ-5 (painted like a MJ). It runs well and I just fixed a gas leak so I can take it in for inspection to make it road worthy. I just joined the forum today in hopes that I can find some good minds to bounce ideas off of when needed. Actually, I've never changed the oil on one of these and am sure it probably needs it...so if anyone has any advice I'm all ears. I don't even know where to check the oil on this thing. ha! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome shenanigans! We are happy to have you. Bring on the questions, we will help out, or figure it out together.

As far as the engine, you should have a F134 inline 4 cylinder engine. On the passenger side of the engine, there should be the dipstick tube, behind the generator. The dip stick will have a round cap that is at the top of the tube. The dipstick requires a half a turn to be able to pull the stick out. If this doesn't jive with what you are seeing, drop us some engine pictures to help us guide you better.

Yes, I was doing some more research and found the dipstick. However, I expected to see some sort of oil filter nearby (like the metal canister type). From what I've read, it's usually next to the dipstick in a black cylinder shape container with a bolt holding the lid on. I don't see that. Unless I'm missing something. My dad bought this from a guy in July and hasn't done anything with it since then. The guy obviously made a lot of work-arounds, so it wouldn't surprise me if he somehow "upgraded" this as well. I wish he would have taken a little more care of it. A bit messy how he did things, but I digress. Any thoughts on the oil filter situation? I've attached pics of the engine in hopes that it will help. Thank you! I really appreciate this! It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this adventure. IMG_0171.jpgIMG_0173.jpgIMG_0172.jpg

It looks like is had some "new and improving" done on it, but the important stuff is there.

It looks like the generator was replaced with an alternator (12-volt conversion, but it may have originally been 12-volt- I'm not sure when the changeover was). The oil filter was indeed a canister right above where the alternator sits.

It took oil from a plug on the left side of the block (the line coming across the top of the canister) and dumped sort of filtered oil into a port on the timing gear cover (you can just see the hose). It was not unusual to find oil filters removed as "new and improving" was done.

With some attention to detail, the engine and machinery can look as good as the outside. Keep us informed on how it goes!
    Attached Images Attached Images