Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flapping noise in transfer case or ?

Question Flapping noise in transfer case or ?

I have a 1959 CJ3B. I recently rebuilt the engine and everything has been running fine.

Last weekend while driving it around the deer lease, while in 1st gear (Hi) there was a flapping noise in the transfer case or transmission. I crawled under the jeep to determine if anything was hung up in the drive shaft(s) and found nothing.

It will drive fine. It does not make the noise in 2nd or 3rd gear (Hi). It does not make the noise in 1st, 2nd, 3rd (Low).

Anyone have any thoughts as to what is wrong and what I should do?

Corey

Welcome ocallaway,

Is the noise being made while under power, (acceleration/deceleration/steady speed/ or all the time? Is there any unusual vibrations noticeable at the shifter when the noise is present? Are the transfer case shifters traveling the full range of movement? A tight/dry U-joint can make a similar noise as to what you are describing.

The first order of business would be to drain the transmission/transfer case. This will not determine where the noise is coming from exactly, because it is a shared oil reservoir between the two, but more of a check for metal or water contamination. I have placed a heep up on sturdy (6 ton) jack stands, and have ran it in gear while crawling up underneath to listen/ watch for leaks. I don't recommend this action, there are bad things that could happen in a hurry. The next check would be to pull the shift tower off of the transmission. Inspect all the transmission gears, and ensure the intermediate shaft is not rusty.

The noise occurs while driving, under power.

No vibrations.

I believe the shifters are fully engaged, full range of movement.

Thank you for the input.

Corey
    Last edited by ccallaway; 11-01-2018 at 01:44 PM. Reason: additional info

No problem.

No vibration and no noise during deceleration are good signs that there isn't anything major wrong. I would still pull the oil out and check for any debris to ensure there isn't anything being eaten. Keep us advised of your findings. I'm interested to know what exactly is going on.

I am going hunting this weekend. I will tinker around with it when I am not hunting on Saturday.

Flapping Noise

Quote Originally Posted by ccallaway View Post
    I am going hunting this weekend.
    Let's hope it's a wad of grass or a piece of stump struck somewhere. Won't be the first time ...

Good luck on the hunt for both critters and noises.

I continued to drive the Jeep thru hunting season. The flapping noise continued off and on through out the season. I did finally change the gear fluid. Yes, it did have water contamination. There were very fine metal flakes in the fluid. This weekend I will take a look at teh shift tower.

Keep us informed. I'm curious to learn what you find.

"... There were very fine metal flakes in the fluid. ..."

As the Old Perfesser used to say; "Uh - oh ".

Now, the biggest question - did any critters get to go for a Jeep ride?