Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flapping noise in transfer case or ?

I took the tower off, no rust. I cannot determine anything. But the IN / OUT for high and low is stuck and I am stuck in low. The Jeep runs and, drives fine, I can shift through the gears, but at this point, I am stuck in low. Yesterday when I drove it and parked it I noticed a large puddle of watery oil. I thought when I drained the transfer case that would include the transmission.

I stuck my head under the jeep and find the transmission drain plug is missing, located at the very bottom of the transmission. I searched around where I drove and did not find the drain plug. I have never taken it off. But there is probably no fluid left in the transmission.

New question, Will the transmission fill plug part number 5140A fit?

Oh, and there were no critters riding in the jeep.

As to hunting season, one 7 pt buck, one doe, two pigs and a coyote.

Ocallaway,

The fill and drain plugs are the same, and can be picked up at any hardware store. NPT 1/2" pipe plug

Included is a good diagram of the parts breakdown of the transmission;

https://www.cj3b.info/Photos/Parts/Transmission.jpg

Your T-case being stuck in low is a common issue. A lot of original Jeeps have had a hole knocked into the passenger side trans tunnel for the application of a pry bar to help the shifter move. My advice is to spray some PB Blaster on the pivot pins of the shifters, and the shift rails going into the transmission. If you apply pressure from underneath the Jeep, ensure that the wheels are chalked. Reason being, if you are up underneath, and you get the shifter to move, you will find neutral before hitting high range. Just a word of caution. Stopping a rolling Jeep with your foot doesn't feel that good.

Thank you for the info. I will keep tinkering.

The diagram, I thought that was the transfer case. I see the diagram says transmission, but the plug was missing, and fluid was dripping from a housing in front of (towards the engine) that looks like the transmission to me.

Included is the diagram for the transfer case;

https://www.kaiserwillys.com/diagram...-transfer-case

Being that the transmission and transfer case are "married", the transfer case envelopes the transmission, since it is pretty much twice the size. The transfer case mounts to the rear of the transmission, while the transmission mounts to the bell housing of the engine. Both share oil, but since the T-case sits lower, it retains oil when the transmission is low on oil.

Hopefully this will help clear the muddy water? Included are some pictures with the body off;
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank you again.