Thread: Suggestions on type of fuel pump

Suggestions on type of fuel pump

Hey all! I recently got a 1960 Willy’s CJ5. The previous owner put in an electric fuel pump. I need to replace it, however, since it’s acting up. I can’t tell what type I need to put on. Got an F Head 4 cylinder. Specifically curious about the flow of fuel. Do I get a 20 gph, 30 gph, or 38 gph. I don’t want to over do it, but not sure what to get. Attached a picture. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Placement depends on the pump style. Some pumps are designed to be frame mounted and are pusher pumps, (close to the fuel tank. Other pumps are mounted on the fender wall etc. and are puller pumps. From the looks of the picture, you have a Holley pusher pump. I have used them for years on derby cars, and they were fairly robust. They are usually sold under the store brand, i.e. Napa, Western Auto, or Advanced Auto.

One note of caution. Carter YF carburetors are picky about fuel pressure. The L/F 134 engines don't need much fuel - 1 1/2 - 2 PSI is plenty. Many of us have had to add fuel pressure regulators with "original design" mechanical pumps to prevent flooding.

Rippin' down the road at 45 MPH, 10 MPG - you need 4 GPH. Even in Low at 2 MPH, the smallest electric pump should be more than ample.

Thank you! I didn’t see a pump with anything less than 20 gph. So I’ll have to check elsewhere. It is a pump that is mounted to the frame right next to the gas tank. I appreciate the info!

You can add the fuel pressure regulator in between the pump and the carb. Set the regulator at 2 psi, and go for a drive. You may have to play with the settings until your engine is happy at all RPM ranges. The pump handles being regulated well, so you won't have any problems.

Thanks, gmwillys! I think I'll do that. Much appreciated!

You are welcome, anytime!
    LarrBeard did all the leg work on that subject.