Thread: New owner

New owner

Hi everyone. I just purchased, what I believe is a 52 M38, in great driving condition. I had to adjust the clutch a little, but it is running perfectly. I know this is going to cause pain to some, but I want to install a roll bar. My grandkids are driving it around the place, and I would love that added protection. Does anyone know of a source?
    Thanks!
    Rick

Welcome rickferrin!

Nobody will fault you for wanting to keep the children safe. I'm proud that you have grandkids that know what a clutch is.

What part of the country do you call home? I ask because I have a rollbar off of my 2A that will fit you M38. If you aren't too far away, we could work out a deal.

I'm in Rome, Ga...NW part of the state. 407-963-5156
    Last edited by rickferrin; 11-15-2018 at 01:41 AM.

You are only a hop, skip, and a jump away. I'm at Jacksonville, AL.

Here is the roll bar as it was when it was on our 2A;
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-15-2018 at 07:38 AM.

Thanks. I’m interested. Give me call when you get a chance.

Will do. I'll give you a call shortly.

Some differences that we spoke about from an M38 compared to a CJ3A;

The first picture of the passenger side has the tool relief stamped below the door opening. The shovel and pick handles would cradle within the reliefs.

The second picture is of the battery box cover, on the cowl in front of the windshield. If there is a second box within the engine compartment, it was often commonplace to have this for a radio Jeep. A way to tell if you had a radio equipped Jeep would be to check the passenger side door opening sill. The may be a piece of angle iron mounted next to the seat for a cannon plug harness. A CJ3 would have a pedestal mount for the single battery, tucked into the right front fender.

The third picture is of the enlarged transmission tunnel cover. This cover is in three pieces, lower, upper, and top transmission cover. A CJ would have just the upper trans cover, and not the two other pieces. Also the M38 had a small glove box in the dash, in front of the passenger's seating position. The CJ3 did not have a glove box.

The fourth picture is of the hinged grill. The hinges served as a quick way to fold down the grill in the case of an engine change. Also noted on the frame rails directly behind the front bumper there is a boss that the tie down/lifting shackle mounts to.

The fifth picture is of the bumperettes and lifting/tie down shackles. The bumperettes were a military standard, where the CJ3 would be a bare cross member.

Any which way, you have yourself a nice Jeep from the sounds of it. Glad to have you aboard, and let us know if you need anything.

GM

Thanks! I believe I have a CJ, not an M38. But I'm loving it, and sure do appreciate the help here.

No problem at all. A CJ is just fine. Military Jeeps tend to be more expensive for replacement parts. A 3A is worth just as much as a M38 these days.

If you need anything, we are right down the road. Don't hesitate to ask.

The following pictures are of the M38/3A that I had sold a few years back. This was a M.D. Juan body and frame from the Philippines. The body is mostly M38, but is missing the battery box in front of the windshield. The non Mopar licensed versions did not have the Willys stamped hood and tailgate. The licensed body is $300 to $600 dollars more.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-19-2018 at 08:38 AM.