Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Visible rust on pistons

Visible rust on pistons

Hi folks, Tom here, brand new to the Jeep world. Just beginning to dismantle a 51 3a. Allegedly has 23,000 miles but has sat since 1977, in a chicken coop. Planning to get down to frame, toss the body, and build it back up. Today’s question, (the first of many), upon pulling the spark plugs,I can see and flick around with a screwdriver rust flakes.... lots of rust flakes... I imagine now I’m gonna pull the head off for further inspection. Should I be scared and start planning for a new engine or is there hope?

There is always hope. I would pull the head and check it out. Being that you were able to remove the spark plugs, tells me the head isn't in too bad of shape. I would not try and turn the engine over even by hand, until pulling the head. That much rust will just cause you headaches when scowered in between the Piston rings and cylinder walls.

Yeah, pull the head. Lots of penetrating oil on head stud nuts. Twisting off a stud is an aw-pooh. A blown head gasket way back when could have let water into the top of the engine.

Shop vac out all the crud, use penetrating oil/brake or hydraulic fluid 50/50 mix to loosen things up before you try to turn it.

Slow is good here. Let us know what you find , pictures are always good.

Good luck.

Hope is good, thanks guys.... slow is no problem, also putting finishing touches on 63 Buick Wildcat. Thanks again.

I'd like to see the Wildcat. I like to see other cars that aren't Chevelles and Mustangs. A side project I have clogging up the drive way is a '65 Fairlane 500. The engine was stuck, but now turns with descent compression. Only problem now is all of the teeth on the flywheel are worn to nubs. When the starter is engaged, it turns an eighth of a revolution then the starter grinds.

Oh so true about chevelles and mustangs. Vettes and camaros also. Don’t even look at them anymore at shows.

I had a '68 Dodge Coronet. It was not close to a show winner, but very drivable. I have had a soft spot for the executive muscle cars. Anyone can build a Camaro or Mustang.

I love my Cat! Executive muscle car, I like that... also known as gentlemen’s muscle car. She’s pretty quick for a big girl.

I had read that the Buicks were the executive muscle car, and the Monte Carlos were the gentleman's cruiser. I liked the fit and finish of the Buicks and Oldsmobiles. Even the Chryslers were good rides.

Hey guys, I hope you still tell me there’s hope... just pulled the head, it came off without even a nudge. Same with the bolts.That is the only good news in my book. But my book doesn’t have a lot of pages. Have you EVER seen a mess like this? Check out these pictures! This is gross! Still hope??? Forge ahead with the cleanup and the mystery oil? Or is it motor rebuild time?
    Attached Images Attached Images