Thread: Just Inherited My Grandfathers Willys- Need Help!

Just Inherited My Grandfathers Willys- Need Help!

Hey All....
    So I just inherited this Jeep (I am super excited about it by the way, totally awesome looking vehicle!) and I was told by my grandfather before he died it was a 1952 M38. The title we found was for a 1953 and I think you can tell by the pics it is older than a 53 and the "Date Delivered" was 6-51 (I assume June of 1951). The tag on the dash says the "MFR SER NO" is 22964. I have not been able to find anything online that explains the meaning of that number. It appears I will have to talk to the DMV/BMV to figure out how to title this thing. Can anyone offer any info on the serial number? Its pretty clear it is an M38 somewhere between the years of 1950 and 1952.

Another question I have... Does anyone know what the original equipment rims and tires were and a good place to buy them (new)? This will be my first purchase so I can move the thing into my storage garage but i want the originals. Hard to do on two flats!
    Attached Images Attached Images

kaiser willys has rims, but they are pricey 4 rims 600.00 add tires and its 1200.00

Mfr ser no

Quote Originally Posted by flyinmonkey101 View Post
    Hey All....
    So I just inherited this Jeep (I am super excited about it by the way, totally awesome looking vehicle!) and I was told by my grandfather before he died it was a 1952 M38. The title we found was for a 1953 and I think you can tell by the pics it is older than a 53 and the "Date Delivered" was 6-51 (I assume June of 1951). The tag on the dash says the "MFR SER NO" is 22964. I have not been able to find anything online that explains the meaning of that number. It appears I will have to talk to the DMV/BMV to figure out how to title this thing. Can anyone offer any info on the serial number? Its pretty clear it is an M38 somewhere between the years of 1950 and 1952.

Another question I have... Does anyone know what the original equipment rims and tires were and a good place to buy them (new)? This will be my first purchase so I can move the thing into my storage garage but i want the originals. Hard to do on two flats!

That's the serial (VIN) and it is a 1951 number.

If you were close to the South East, I have a set (4) 16" Civilian Jeep wheels. The tires are beyond junk, but do hold air. I've been looking for a descent set of the Ansen wheels that you have on your M38.

By the way, Welcome to the forum! You have yourself a great looking M38!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 11-29-2018 at 06:47 AM.

Give me an offer in the Ansens...

Quote Originally Posted by pelago View Post
    kaiser willys has rims, but they are pricey 4 rims 600.00 add tires and its 1200.00
    I saw how expensive they were. Was a little surprised. Know of anywhere else I can get new civilian wheels and tires for a better price?

You may be able to find some Ford or Dodge 1\2 ton 4x4 pickup wheels as a close substitute in 15". As far as original Kelsey Hayes wheels in either 15" or 16" is getting tougher. I have two extra sets of 15" and only one set of the 16" wheels.

As far as the Ansen wheels, I would be willing to trade the 16" wheels, or a good set of the 15" wheels. I would also be willing to remove the old tires and inspect for damage or rust. Then remove the paint and prime. A big factor would be to where you are located. I'm pretty well tied up until late spring, depending on the condition of a heep floor replacement job I'm going to bid on tomorrow. What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    You may be able to find some Ford or Dodge 1\2 ton 4x4 pickup wheels as a close substitute in 15". As far as original Kelsey Hayes wheels in either 15" or 16" is getting tougher. I have two extra sets of 15" and only one set of the 16" wheels.

As far as the Ansen wheels, I would be willing to trade the 16" wheels, or a good set of the 15" wheels. I would also be willing to remove the old tires and inspect for damage or rust. Then remove the paint and prime. A big factor would be to where you are located. I'm pretty well tied up until late spring, depending on the condition of a heep floor replacement job I'm going to bid on tomorrow. What are your thoughts?
    I am located in NE Ohio. I appreciate the offer on the 16" wheels. Can you send a picture? I'm leaning toward just buying new ones so I dont risk small leaks or anything.

The two pictures above are of the 16" Kelsey Hayes. The tires are thought to be the close to the original tires that came on a CJ2A I had some time back. The tires still held air, and even made a couple of trips to the grocery and parts store. The sidewalks are mostly missing, but the tread is descent, albeit hard as a rock. The original wheels were not tubeless, and require a boot along with the tubes.

This was why I asked to where you were located. I would want you to see what you were getting before accepting. Just the way I like to do business. I'll keep my ears open in case there are any available in your neck of the woods.

I was tooling around ewillys and came across a set of 5 15" wheels that have been sandblasted and painted for $150.00 in Washington state. This appears to be wheels only, not tires.

http://www.ewillys.com/2018/12/14/5-...chland-wa-150/