Thread: door lock mechanism

door lock mechanism

Hi all,
    Call me silly but I decided to not only document my parts as i take them out but also figure out how they work so i know what to expect when putting it back together. To that end, I'm trying to figure out the door handle locks. I have a '59 wagon and it has the handles (not the push button style). When i was a kid I remember my grandpa having handles on his door and you had turn one direction to open and the other to lock it. I am taking one door apart and then try to answer my questions with the other door but i still am not sure. Is that the way this is suppose to work on a willys? If so, which what is the lock position?

thank you

On a '59 wagon, there is a button toward the top corner of the door interior panel. This button travels up and down. This activates the lock mechanism. On older wagons/trucks there is an ivory button in the center top section of the door card.

DodgeI had the lock in the interior handle, up for lock and down to open the door. I do not remember what the other makes had for door locks.

of course i was working on the drivers side which was taken apart and the passenger side is missing the button that you're talking about. It's there and it locks when i reach in w/ a screwdriver to move it. thank you

I used to have the same issue, but I was able to solve it only with a help from emergency locksmith east london. I had already spent a couple of hours trying to figure out what was the problem but I was unable to find it
    Last edited by VadimCr; 04-29-2022 at 09:46 AM.