Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: CJ-3A First Willys

It will be the real Delorean deal then gm! Once you polish it they say its a daily thing keeping it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by 56willys View Post
    So your planning a big offroad excursion now? Its been dirty once, now you need to come do some rockcrawling, hahaha!!
    I hear ya 56', she's been initiated. I will have to find an indoor offroad event with AstroTurf and clean rocks! Hahahah... poor little Garage Queen.

A Composite Reply:

Bob: PeeJ just wanted to go play in the mud like old days.

On Sunday we took Ham's '48 out for a show. Earlier in the morning it was raining pretty hard and I told Becky we might not go. Her reply was that it was supposed to stop raining before noon, why not go. I mansplained to her that even if it wasn't raining, that if the roads were wet the places under the fenders and the underside got wet and muddy and those were the hardest to get cleaned. But - things dried out OK and we went.

GMWillys: A number of years ago I was waiting on an airplane somewhere and this I heard this rumble even up in the waiting area. I went over to the window and there was the rattiest P-47 imaginable. The aluminum was dull and you could see just about every frame and brace in the fuselage and wing structures where the skin had dimpled in. The Heep might look a little like that once you polished it up - a lot of experience showing.

See, the difference between PeeJ and Flossy, is that Flossy and I aim towards the dirty areas. Back before I had the crazy idea to tear it apart, so it still ran. If there was a soft muddy spot in the yard, it steered right for it. And did we stop to put it in 4 wheel? No! one wheel drive makes it more exciting, and easier to make roster tails, splashing mud all over my passengers in their easter best. In the words of Clark Griswald, "it's all part of the experience".

Gm, I think being polished would look extremely cool, however keeping it clean and shiny would be a chore, but a worthy chore. Kind of like I was talking to a gentlemen who took the original magnesium wheels off all is funny cars and replaced with aluminum wheels, since magnesium took too much to keep shiny. Since it tarnished very easily.

That's why I'm on the fence about the time to polish. Since I pressure washed the mud off of the Heep last fall, she's not looking too hot.
    I did get a call from the starter guy, and he said my stuff is ready to be picked up. $70 bucks for both the starter and generator to get worked up. I couldn't buy the piece parts for that, let alone the labor he put into it.

Wow your electric guy is one of a kind gm. An honorable repair shop. That is a great price. I think we are down to one electrical component repair shop around here for 50 miles. It seems like all you can find now are the re-manufacturers from foreign countries.

I stopped by a week ago and talked with him a while. He's trying to retire, but people drop stuff off to him daily. He doesn't answer the phone, and doesn't have voicemail or an answering machine, so eventually I'll get my stuff picked up before the June Jeep run.

I was looking through ePay, and came across this stainless 2A.... Yep, that would burn the eyes on a sunny day.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28584191932...8AAOSw4Dlk5WOO
    Last edited by gmwillys; 05-03-2024 at 02:33 AM.

Yikes! I think I like the patina a bunch more. The polished stainless looks like chrome. It is unique. The Heep has a much better personality. I like the bare carbon steel.

Well, I guess you wouldn't have to worry about the body rusting! But, yeah, not sure I'd want to drive that if the sun was out.

I can still clearly remember the Delorean sales. Many owners ended up painting them. All you needed was for someone to put a sweaty hand on it and, out comes the buffer. They were very difficult to keep looking nice.

".. ePay, and came across this stainless 2A... "

Yeah. 38 miles...