Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ-3A First Willys

Sometimes you just gotta walk away

The horrors! I get up in the night to.... old guy you know. I step right into a soaking wet carpet. Bathroom stop valve leaking. Soaks the floor runs under the wall ruins carpet drywall ceiling below. Panic, towels razor knife cut up the carpet , haul it out through the garage, shop light falls on newly painted Jeep front fender and grill. Big gouge on the top of the fender. Big chip on top of the grill.

Well s..t happens. So I figure I have only run it long enough to verify it starts and seems to run. It's time to bring it to temp. It comes up to temp awfully quick. I begin to see steam from the front and the rear studs on the manifold. Dang it I used high dollar Loctite thread sealer on those. I am still wondering why it got to 180 deg so quickly. I have a 165 thermostat, Aluminum radiator and a nice fitting shroud. I am going to lose sleep. I bored this motor .080 over. Could the sonic test have been in-accurate? My mind races. I pull the studs. The Loctite seems to have not adhered to the stud. Installer error. Obviously I didn't clean the oil off the threads on those two. No trouble elsewhere. I pressure check it to 16 lbs. It holds for 15 min. I drive my GMC 4 hours with my son to look at a car he is salivating over. On the way he drives, I provide study aid for his upcoming grad school exams. He is cramming, I cannot pronounce the words in his notes. I am thinking very little. Suddenly it hits me, after the world fell on my newly painted front end I threw a furniture blanket over the FRIGAN' GRILL! Had to clear my mind to think straight!

Taking the fender back to the paint shop. Watching all the auto races today. Drinking some Angry Orchard hard cider. I will start again tomorrow!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-23-2019 at 08:26 AM.

In the dead of winter I keep one of the small ceramic heaters on the floor under the skid plate under the oil pan. After a while I figured that the warm air was floating out through the radiator - duhhh ..

Then I figured out that the magnetic fender covers I almost always use clipped onto the grill very nicely, stayed put and didn't scratch anything.

As for thermostats - once bitten you stay shy for a long time. I had one stick in January 2018 and puke coolant everywhere - I still find a little if I look close enough. I have found that when I set out at my usual putter around pace, the '48 heats up to about 180, then the thermostat opens and things settle down at 160.

But, if I get in a hurry and push things, the back end of the engine where the sensor is will get really warm (well above 185 on the gauge) before the front end warms up enough to open the thermostat. I had a scare last Saturday on the way to a show because we were a bit late and I got in a hurry. Since I had one thermostat stick - I keep a close eye on temperature until everything gets settled at 160.

I thought I had the market cornered on the snowball effect. Look on the bright side, the moving blanket helped to point out the thread sealant didn't adhere. Everything happens for a reason.

Hahahaha! Perfect gmwillys! Just perfect. That is the attitude that keeps us pushing forward.

Attached photo of the way the day ended.

Check out the way the fan sucked the blanket in tight. It was draped over the bumper! I think the fan has a good "pull"! So as you said gmwillys, the good news is the blanket is providing a test environment.

Trouble with a leaky exhaust manifold stud

Man I am having trouble with that stud leaking steam. I pulled the front and rear studs. Cleaned as best I could. I used Permatex thread sealant on the entire motor. The white stuff. Expensive. I have used it for a long time. I first used it building racing engines long ago. It worked well on head studs. I noticed the first time I tore it down, there was no adhesion to the threads. They were steam cleaned. I used some lacquer thinner on them but, the threads in the block are tough to clean. I reassembled and I fired it up, and it still leaked though not as bad, from the rear stud. Pull it apart again. The front stud seamed to seal, but I didn't trust it. So drained the water again, and pulled both studs. The front stud was sealing up. I put on more goop and put it back in. On the back one I cleaned it up, and used Aviation Form-a-Gasket. Fired it back up The front stud is good, the rear however is not. Though not producing any water, it is producing some steam. It seems like it is a little less each time I fire it up and bring it to temp. Man this is a tough one to seal. The threads must be too sloppy. I wonder if silicone might work.

Any ideas you guy's?

Being a cheap bass turd, when I would build up my derby car power plants, it was getting expensive to reseal the headers after each run. Orange high temp silicone was liberally smeared onto the zoomie mount plates, out of frustration. I ran three times in one summer without having to reseal.... Did that for several years, on several different engines and header combos.
    Essentially, you are dealing with the block threads that has had some erosion from a leak. The sealants are building up the threads, or at least the voids within the threads.

Look for little cracks ... Yuck!

Helicoil?

Don't go to magic mud in the coolant until all else fails.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Look for little cracks ... Yuck!

Helicoil?

Don't go to magic mud in the coolant until all else fails.
    LarrBeard, your first words are scary. I thought about cracks. I had everything Magnafluxed at the Machine Shop. The heat has a way of opening cracks however.

The Helicoil... I may have had to put one in there. Now I don't remember! I put in a few.

gmwillys, I wonder if it will "heal" after a few more cycles? I have never used Aviation Form a Gasket on a stud. It seems to be less each cycle.

I also thought about trying some Permatex #1. I have never used it. I have definitely removed it. When I was a young rookie mechanic tearing down and cleaning for reassembly was my Job. The things I was cleaning.. Heavy Truck transmissions. I swore I would never use that stuff because it was so hard to remove! Now I wonder if it might do the trick. I have no experience using it. I only know it is like asphalt to remove.

The TUB comes home

Oh man... getting close now.