Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ-3A First Willys

Modern is a relative term around here.

Gasket or seal at the rear of the hood

I am getting ready to set the hood on. I think there should be something for the rear of the hood to set on against the cowl. I have the felt down at the grill but, what about the back? I think there is supposed to be a "Gutter" there also. All I have right now is the hinge. It seems the hood would bang against the cowl in the back.

bmorgil,
    I went to Menards and picked up a roll of weatherseal tape that has adhesive on one side and it worked great on the grill, I'm sure it would work good on the cowl under the hood.
    The only reason I considered it was to keep the hood from rattling on the grill, I probably will do the same on the back along the cowl as well.
    Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by TJones; 07-11-2019 at 05:01 AM.

The windshield to cowl seal is a lousy fit!

I traveled around the WWW, and I discovered this complaint is another normal. A few things had to be done to get the windshield frame to fit.

A recap:

The repro windshield frame did not fit the repro tub cowl. The arms had to be cut and aligned, then welded.
    The repro tub had a CJ2A dash (wrong ignition switch location, no high beam indicator hole) that had to be corrected.
    The repro tub came with the wrong windshield frame mounts. (M38 slotted low profile style)
    The new windshield glass from KW had to be ground to fit the repro frame. I had the glass professionally installed. I could not get it to go in. The glass shop had to grind it a bunch to fit. The corners had to be radius differently to match the frame and, it was slightly wide side to side. Never seen that done before! Diamond belt sander. Nice! The glass guy had the capability to make the windshield in his shop! Money well spent. Fits like custom glass.

With all these issues I was not to shocked when the cowl seal fit like crap. Word on the WWW points to cheap. A few fellas said prepare to pay $50 or more for a "good" one. OK, I just paid $50 for a "good" one. I will let you all know how this turns out! I think all in all, I am still not complaining too much about the repro tub.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-11-2019 at 05:28 PM.

My windshield to cowl fit was about the same, I left the rubber seal out and put the weather seal I was talking about under the windshield frame instead of the rubber seal.
    I did so much bending, cutting and rewelding on the arms the rubber seal didn’t even come close to fitting right so I put it back in the seal box.
    Last edited by TJones; 07-11-2019 at 06:42 PM.

The good news is that those are some of the best pictures we've seen of that deep green paint job. Really a nice color!

Thanks LarrBeard! The paint supply did a great job of matching the original Emerald Green. I am trying to preserve the "original" look. I had to keep the reins on the body shop pro's. They wanted to smooth out all the welds and make it like glass inside and out. With the paint match on the original color, and the body prep normal for the day, I think it should look and run like it did back in the day.

I must be doing something wrong with the starter

I must have a procedure or, an adjustment wrong. I have the project just about done. Moved the jeep under its own power today. Tweaking and adjusting everything. I am having trouble with the stater. Sometimes when I push the starter pedal it just makes an awful crashing grinding sound, no L134 motor rotation. So I have to hit it a few times, it grinds and crashes, and then it will engage and start right up. If I touch the starter pedal gently, it seems to be better than if I jump on the pedal hard. It sounds like it is grinding the ring gar right off the flywheel! Sometimes it is perfect. Hit the pedal, it cranks and fires right up. Sometimes It sounds like a cat being dragged across a screen door. No engagement and an awful grinding sound. It is a "new" rebuilt starter from KW. The ring gear was perfect.

What the heck?

"What the heck?"

Yeah. Owhhhh ..

I hate to ask this comment, but there are different tooth counts on ring gears and on starter drives (I think). If there is a tooth pitch mismatch .....

Is there any adjustment in the engagement throw on the starter linkage?

It works flawlessly sometimes, and sometimes it crashes into the ring gear and does not engage. When it works its great. When it doesn't it is an awful crash of gears.

I know very little about the starter. I sent the original off to KW. They rebuilt it and returned it. If there are any adjustments, I didn't make any. I guess it time to do a "deep dive" into how the starter works! I have read there appears to be an adjustment on the switch. I don't know anything about it yet.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-28-2019 at 07:04 AM.