Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ-3A First Willys

At least I got her to run around 140-150 pretty consistently!!

Yet another reason not to have fancy paint.... Bugs, tar and chipped roads, dirt toads, no problem. Fixing the bugs that pop up are all part of the fun. 150 is pretty good number for this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    Yet another reason not to have fancy paint.... Bugs, tar and chipped roads, dirt toads, no problem. Fixing the bugs that pop up are all part of the fun. 150 is pretty good number for this time of year.
    Yes it is gm, especially for it hovering around 90-94 these days in NE Ohio!!!!
    I’d still like to get a shroud put on it to keep from somebody sticking their hand into the infamous “wood chipper” fan blade I have on it. All and all it is running pretty good, I just get a little frustrated sometimes but everyone tells me to be patient, it took 3.5 years to finish it and it’s probably going to take a little time to perfect it.
    I learned A LOT of WHAT’S, HOWS, and WHY’S along the way, one main one is when you build a fuel cell put baffles in it. Every time it gets to about a 1/2 a tank and you go around a corner the electric fuel pump it starved for fuel and starts whining real loud through the whole Heep and part of that is “ no baffles in the tank” and the other is “mounting the pump” in the frame rail!!!
    The lessons we learn are what makes us Wiser I guess!!!

Oh the science of fuel systems and cells! Just remember TJ, after many, many years in the Automotive Industry, I can tell you it takes the best many years. When a prototype starts today it is indeed fast tracked. It still takes a few years to "Launch" a completely redesigned vehicle like yours. Unlike you, the "Team" consistences of the best engineers of varying types, skilled manpower and experimental drivers (my first job in OE Manufacturing). These "Teams" took a few years, when I was driving in the late 70's. We had the best of everything for a shop, tools and budget. The prototypes were delivered to the drivers for a beating. None that I ever heard of just went straight to production.

For a "Team" you have you for design and engineering, and yourself for skilled labor. Your "Advisory Team" is a bunch of guy's on the Internet! You wanted perfect the first time? Perhaps we dream to high?

True. Trials and tribulations. Three and a half years is a blink in time. I've had our two Heeps for 30 years, with the vast majority of the time them being in storage. The 2A will be road worthy again soon, (not that it stopped me before) so I'll get some windshield time by the fall. The wagon on the other hand will take a considerable amount of time to get it the way I want it to run. A lot of fabrication and a transplant of power will take the most time. No set schedule for completion.

A baffle will make all the difference in the world in your fuel tank. I know that there are kits available to turn an existing fuel tank into a EFI ready fuel system, with a built in sump to prevent fuel starvation;

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...prod/prd84.htm

https://aeromotiveinc.com/tech-help/phantom/

I'm having a brain fade and do not recall if you were running fuel injection or a carb, but either way I would explore the possibilities of making a sump for the fuel pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    True. Trials and tribulations. Three and a half years is a blink in time. I've had our two Heeps for 30 years, with the vast majority of the time them being in storage. The 2A will be road worthy again soon, (not that it stopped me before) so I'll get some windshield time by the fall. The wagon on the other hand will take a considerable amount of time to get it the way I want it to run. A lot of fabrication and a transplant of power will take the most time. No set schedule for completion.
    A baffle will make all the difference in the world in your fuel tank. I know that there are kits available to turn an existing fuel tank into a EFI ready fuel system, with a built in sump to prevent fuel starvation;

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...prod/prd84.htm

https://aeromotiveinc.com/tech-help/phantom/

I'm having a brain fade and do not recall if you were running fuel injection or a carb, but either way I would explore the possibilities of making a sump for the fuel pickup.

Yes Sir I’m running a Holley Sniper EFI, I thought about switching to a tank type pump or even putting that foam you can wad up in your hand and stuff it into the tank but that will stop my fuel float from working.
    I think for now I’ll just filler up when she gets to 1/2 a tank

If a Willys didn't have a quirk, it would be a cheap imitation.

Advisory team?!? This is a genuine panel of experts, Sir!!! I mean, if mistakes made count for learning, team members past & present have aquired more knowledge than the internet

New Old Windshield Wiper Motor

I bit the bullet and ordered a NOS wiper motor from the Wiper Man gmwillys posted. https://rebuildingtricowipers.com/ The price hurt but, there are only a few of these left.

Check out the box, an original to be sure. Wiper Man stated he "goes through them" and then ships. He sent me a perfect motor. It had me grinning that's for sure. I took out the old non running motor and installed the NOS. It works fantastic! I have to figure out how to post a video. It runs very fast at high idle and is still quite speedy at idle. It is important to note I do NOT have the vacuum assisted fuel pump. This little thing runs great off straight engine vacuum. When you floor it however, the wiper stops. It needs the vacuum assists when floored that's for sure. Like it will ever be in the rain. Thrilling little thing running its little brains out on a vehicle with no roof or doors, but by damn it has a windshield wiper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks real nice!