Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ-3A First Willys

Wow in the first shot with the old firewall, the frame fits just like mine. Tight on the pass side and wide on the driver. Well at least it appears to be a "standard deviation". Maybe someone will have successfully pulled off a re-center without cutting out the dash and firewall! The clamps are off the same as the frame. It looks like if the frame would line up so would the clamps.

gmwillys has me straight on the seats. I now have that figured out. I am hoping for some pics from him on the windshield. He was thinking the mounts might be backwards. This could be a tough one.

Man that CJ of yours is coming along! I can't wait to see the finished project. You are definitely good with the metal work TJ!

Thank You Sir....
    If you hold the mounts up to where they bolt on they should be square with the body, I don't think the windshield arms will fit in the mounts if they are on backwards maybe I am wrong and that's highly possible. Like my Bride say's " can you even say wrong" and I say yes wwwwwwrrrrrooonnnnngggg Not Right
    I have cut out, replaced,welded,re-cut so many times now it's getting frustrating but I want it to look half way like somebody knew what they were doing . I think I've used up 2 maybe 3 spools of .23 and .30 wire in my little lincoln wire feed 135 but I am starting to get the hang of it.
    I found out early the tin they used is like paper and you need to go slow.
    Did you get your body from Jay at Willys Overland by you? That's where I got mine and he does a good job with the fitment rehab.
    I am thinking the boys in the Philippines really must of got paid by the spot welds instead of by the hour
    I have also found out that the powder coating covers up a Multitude of Sin bc it goes on so thick and when they bake it it has a tendency to smooth things out.
    Last edited by TJones; 06-13-2019 at 09:13 AM.

I hadn't forgotten about the pictures. Been on the run since 02:30, and finally had a chance to get back to my desk. I won't make it home before dark, so here are some archive photos of my old heep. None are direct subject matter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more photos for effect. The red Heep was an early MD Juan bodied M38/3A clone. The windshield fit alright, but nothing else was right.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 06-13-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Oh ya some good looks there gmwillys. I figured out a few things from them. The mounts are on correctly. I can see how it fits. I think the arms right where they bolt to the mounts are the culprit. It looks like when they flattened the ends for the pivot bolt, they were not paying attention to the angle they ended up at. I think a slight adjustment right there might work. It does not look like it will be easy to bend. I will need to maintain flat.

I noticed in the photos there appears to be a washer under the pivot bolt. I think one would be beneficial. Did washers come from the factory? My brand new stainless pivot bolts dug right in to the frame.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-13-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TJones View Post
    If you hold the mounts up to where they bolt on they should be square with the body, I don't think the windshield arms will fit in the mounts if they are on backward.....

Did you get your body from Jay at Willys Overland by you? That's where I got mine and he does a good job with the fitment rehab.....

I have also found out that the powder coating covers up a Multitude of Sin bc it goes on so thick and when they bake it it has a tendency to smooth things out.
    No it wont go together. It would but things would be bent. There is a significant angle built in to the mount to match the cowl side.

The "kit"s a KW. It is not to bad. I had to drill some mount holes, bang some clearance in the firewall etc. I thought about Willys Overland but, I had to save the cash and fit it myself.

I love powder coat!

I’m excited to see how it turns out!!!
    It will be the only one in these parts that has been powder coated.
    I’ve had to send parts back several times bc they look milky bc the clear didn’t bake long enough but we’ll get it.

I see that the mounts were not backwards, but a much steeper angle then the original. I have caught myself putting them on bass ackward because of the slight angle. The end of the arms are more straight. With everything square to the body, the windshield arms pivot stay parallel to the body. It would appear that with the angles that the windshield and the mounts, I would think the windshield would bind when raising or lowering.

On the passenger side the arm bit into the head of the pivot. It is because the arm /hole is not 90 deg to the mount/pivot bolt. On the back of the pivot bolt it bit into the arm and drug all the way. when the frame pivots.

The Windshield Fiasco

OK. I chickened out and loaded the tub and windshield on the back of my pickup. I bolted two 7' 2x4's under the tub and we "coffin" carried it to the truck. We lifted it up and set it down right on top of the bed sides. I should have taken a pic of that. To the body shop it went. I am super lucky. I have a California show car builder living right down the street.

The windshield driver side mount right at the pivot needed to be bent in about 10 degrees. The passenger side was another story. After trying different methods, the boy's ended up cutting a piece out of the arm and bending it out and down, and then welding it back up. It fit's pretty darn good now!

When the tub returns it is reassembly time! A pic is attached of the fenders and grill on. I like the color! Nice color for a Jeep. Not olive drab but, a good "civi" choice.

gmwillys, the tip on the guide pins for the fenders was perfect. Man that went smooth. I didn't even come close to scratching anything.

A recap on the repro tub:

There were two major issues that had to be corrected. The fire wall is not correct directly behind the throttle linkage. I tried heating it red and forming with a body hammer. It was to far off for that. It actually makes contact before the tub can be pushed all the way forward. The body shop cut out the area and remade it. I will take some pics. I need at least a half inch more room.

The windshield fit was terrible. No way that would have even went together with out damage every time you moved it. It took the body shop some work to correct it.

The dashboard was not drilled for the high beam indicator or the correct starter switch. The dash was set up for a CJ2A starter switch on the passenger side. A big 1" hole and 3 small holes. The holes had to be welded and filled. I could have used a 2A switch but, the point here is its a 3A! This is a common complaint on the web. I can't quite figure that one out. It is a dead giveaway that it is the wrong dash for a 3A or, it is a repro tub.

I cannot figure out why they don't put the 4 "Top" mounts on the tub. I have chosen not to put them on. I do wish they had come welded on. I am going to use a modified M38 summer top. By using the M38 style, I don't have to weld in any mounts.

The tailgate hinges are ROUGH! I had to grind the openings to get the tailgate in. They were out of square.

All in all not to bad really. Randy my body shop guy, said he has seen repro parts for various cars that are much worse. This tub was purchased from KW in 2018. It has a lot of corrections from the older ones.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-18-2019 at 07:05 PM.