Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ-3A First Willys

Great Jeep!

We just speak the truth. You did a fine job, and it shows. Senior Chief LarrBeard gave his stamp of approval, and that holds a lot of weight.

peeJ Cruisin' to the Dairy Queen with the Oil Line Blues

Just to good of weather to keep her inside any longer. Uncovered the Willys and rolled to the DQ! Perfect all the way. After setting for a bit lo and behold the famed cheap oil filter supply line (the one you can't get to behind the fuel pump) is dripping ever so slightly. I remember pelago had the same problem with a cheap hose. I hope KW is aware there is a very large bad batch of these. I read pelago was able to actually pull his apart. I also read on another forum a guy had four of them pull apart! Well I can tell you I also have a bad one. I have a new one coming from Walck's. He claims these are not the "leaky cheapies". I am going to try to find a guy who can make one once I get the old new one off. I will let you know how the Walcks line looks.

This is definitely something to watch for if you replaced that line. If that line lets go you will lose all the oil quickly as well as the oil pressure.
    Last edited by bmorgil; 06-16-2020 at 01:12 PM.

OK time to clean it up for the Summer. Man is this thing dusty. This will be the first wash and wax. You wouldn't think dust was so hard to get cleaned up. Damn Garage Queens"!

On Ham's '48 we put a fancy stress relieved steel line between the return port on the filter and the timing gear cover sump. It turned out not to be stress relieved enough; it lasted about three trips around town until it split out at a flare. That gave a new meaning to "oil bath" besides the air cleaner. A big oil leak plus a fan equals a mess. We did a quick get it home repair that is still there - we used a metal stub line at each end with a clamped rubber hose in the middle.

Out here in the country the farmers are always playing around and raising a big cloud of dust. Even with the car barn closed up, dust infiltrates everywhere. A cover might help, but if I want to just start the truck or make a quick grocery store run, taking it off, wadding it up, putting it back on etc. is just too big a bother. I have a fluffy duster that does a good job of just getting dust off the trruck.

That's why I'm keeping the 2A in the buff. Dust just blows off on the first trip to town.

"In the buff" I love it! I have a "knock around" for trips to the grocery store. peeJ is so pretty, I hate to think it might have to roll on a dirty road. Haha, I am sure it will get dirty at some point. I like the feather duster idea. I have a stone drive. The fine dust is everywhere.

The 2A will get the required body work before I tip over, but for now it is in its birthday suit. When the wagon is finished, then the 2A will get torn down for a major overhaul. Looking around at some other rat rod builds, and they recommend Gibbs wax to brush on metal conditioner for bare metal builds. That would beat clear coat alone because it turns dark after a couple of years.

After crawling under mine I have a whole nother appreciation for frame off nuts and bolts resto. It's the only way to be sure!

I think you will find yourself working on them either way!