Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ-3A First Willys

Fuel Pump Pin Falling Out!

Everything happens for a reason. My new oil line is leaking so I am replacing it with a "Made in USA". I put peeJ up in the air to take a look from underneath. Lo and behold the new fuel pump pivot pin has fallen out to the point it is striking the fuel pump bolt! Thank God it hit the bolt or I would have been stranded somewhere. Look close and you can see the leak and the pin! Two birds with one boulder.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That was a bit of luck through miss fortune. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

Truly lucky there gm! My usual would have been for the pin to fall half way out cock in the housing, seize up and wipe out the cam lobe!

I thought only I had luck like that. If I didn't have bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.

Uhhhh ... That's a design feature guys.

Since the bolt head will act as a retainer if the pin works out, the pin really doesn't have to fit all that tightly - it will be OK.

(Yeah, sure...)

Excellent forethought by our elders there!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 07-22-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Massive Oil Leak at the Filter Canaster!

I was reading a post by LarrBeard regaling us in the tale of his beautiful truck spraying oil all over his engine compartment. I thought to myself what a terrible thing to happen to such a like new super clean engine compartment. A "baptism by fire". Then I decided to dry up my last little issues with my oil lines and change out the filter for the first time since the restore. A whopping 150 miles on it. All went smooth. I had and have had trouble with that copper gasket under the filter canister bolt. The copper requires a lot of force to make it seal and a used one will never seal well. I do not like applying a lot of torque to that bolt. I have used composites but I could not come up with one "FAST ENOUGH". Oh the cost of that!

I decided to fabricate one out of some thick soft gasket material. It didn't work. Took it for a 2 mile spin. Pumped 1/2 of a quart of oil onto the underside of the hood, all over the distributor, Alternator various other parts. I got back from the ride only to see massive oil dripping from the front of the jeep to the back. Amazing the mess that causes.

Spending the day taking things apart and cleaning it all back up. Well it needed a good "dusting off" after the winter! And of course the first show of the year not cancelled due to COVID is Tuesday! I will be taking apart and cleaning for the next 2 days. I went to the Auto parts store looking for a "Willys A-1233 Gasket" for the cover bolt. On line https://www.rfjp.com/p-131-oil-filte...ket-a1233.aspx But I wanted it now and not copper! It is a 7/16" I.D. x 1" O.D. gasket. I found several assortments. I bought them all. Here we go again.

DA#@ IT!!!!!

" I was reading a post by LarrBeard regaling us in the tale of his beautiful truck spraying oil all over his engine compartment."

"Git off the rig Luke, it's gonna' blow!"

At least it's clean oil! Well, I too still have an issue under the oil filter cannister. At least one of the lines has a leak, I have oil down the distributor side of the engine and that is just about the only place it can come from.

I have metal ends on both the suction and drain side of the cannister and if I am lucky, I will have a loose fitting. If not, I have a split flare and I will need to replace either the stub end of the sump or the whole metal line that snakes back over behind the fuel pump.

I had the first show of the year last weekend and we managed to end up in the top 20 or so of the 50 awards for older than 1999 I was up to my axole in Mustangs, Chevy SS, GTO's, Camaros, 442's; but the Toledo iron did fairly well.

I always get graded down on "Engine". There isn't a cheap chrome pack for a F-134 and my engine is used to move the truck from Point A to Point B, so it does accumulate a few bugs.

Try to get one of those big old yellow-gutted grasshoppers out of the fins of a black radiator. His head, body and wings stick to the front and all of his innards go through the fan and spray under the hood. The joys of the MidWest in July.

I’m about half afraid to take mine out for a spin, every time I come back I have a new drip somewhere. It’s either a brake line, transfer case, transmission leaking by the seal on the input shaft into the bell housing or something else.
    You take your time putting them together to keep this s#]t from becoming a pain in your ars later.

I hear ya TJ! Not to worry it will be fun no matter. I dread the day I get caught in the rain or worse, hit a newly paved road! Larry talking about the bugs has me terified. I live fairly close to the lake. Big flying monsters here. Many at a time. The definition of "swarms".