Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: CJ-3A First Willys

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    P. S. I am in the Arena Show over at Toledo in August.
    I think we are good then Larry! She is looking like a parade Jeep for shure! Loaded full of fun. The shroud is definitely going on. I contemplated painting the radiator black so it wouldn't stand out. It is such a nice fit that at first quick glance, it might pass as "supposed to be there". We will endeavor to "Stay CooL"!

I am more pumped up about your truck in the main event, than I am about getting the power-train back in mine! Speaking of VERY COOL!!! Wow indoors for one of the biggest Jeep shows around. You will have the finest truck there. I cannot wait to see it! Reserve lunch on me. If you need anything here in Toledo let me know. I am hoping I can figure the body out in time for the parade. In any event my son has his Scrambler in the parade. I will be there!

Toledo Celebration

I'm still waiting on details, but I suspect if the truck is staged in the arena on Friday, it will just have to sit and watch the parade...

I'ts interesting how things work themselves out.

I had just planned to drive up to Toledo - it's a two hour or so drive up US 24. But, a friend of mine, who is a friend of the truck, has a 24-foot enclosed trailer. He insisted I couldn't drive up there - I would get bugs on the truck, it might rain, bird doooh - ... He offered the trailer to me, but I told him that I don't have anything to pull it - and I don't want to try to learn how to handle a 24-foot trailer as my first experience. Thanks, buy really - No Thanks.

So, he said that's simple - I'll just haul the truck up there for you....

As of now - take the truck up Friday, the arena opens about 11:00 or so (preliminary plans). Set up is until late afternoon. We'll stay around and look, then come home. The show closes Sunday afternoon, so I'll come back up Sunday morning - look at all the goodies and then drive the truck back home in the cool of the evening.

Or - everything may change depending on what everyone else wants to do .....

Great news LarrBeard! You two will have to post lots of pictures after the show.

Damn I may have to hurry and get mine finished Toledo’s only a couple hours from me !!!

Sounds like a good time!

Let's start a "Go Fund Me" to fly in gmwillys, and his Willys.

Pretty much finished up everything I could on the chassis. I filled up the fluids and went to bed. I woke up ready to begin trial fitting the body kit. As I tidied up , I spotted a small pool of oil on the top of the skid plate under the trans / bell housing interface. Panic. I assumed it was coming out of the front of the counter-shaft. The usual T90 spot. I payed close attention to sealing everything on the rebuild. I pulled the trans / transfer case. Two giant steps backward. The counter-shaft was dry. The front of the trans was clean and dry. I got in real close and put on some big boy glasses. A Crack!

Some analysis. The Jeep only has 48,000 miles on it. It is a dealer converted farm Jeep. The only remnants are the air bags and the Driveshaft rear shield. There is a hole in the rear support where the hydraulics were. It was beat like a well used _____. When I got to the transmission, one bolt was gone, the hole striped. Two other bolt holes were striped in the bell. That left the lower passenger side bolt as the only thing holding the trans in. That is where the crack formed. Also the cross member had been hit so hard, it took a 25 ton press to straighten it. Well it could have been worse. Trans is torn down and waiting for parts... again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does that mean a new transmission case?

I hate that. No fun at all.

Quote Originally Posted by LarrBeard View Post
    Does that mean a new transmission case?
    I found a case on eBay that has a 1950 casting date. The shipping is outrageous. Almost the cost of a new one when all is said and done. Oh well. I am glad I caught it when I did. It would have been a bad day at the Parade!