Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front hubs question

Toms51 i did find my axle and it is a rzeppa style (what came original) with 5 ball bearings (1 with a pin) but I could only find 4 balls, if you you can find someone that sells the balls I would be willing to send it to you for $75.00 plus the shipping. There is nothing wrong with the one I have I just replaced it to match the other side (with u-joints in lieu of the rzeppa joint) that had been replaced so they were a matched set bc I went through both axles and completely rebuilt both.
    Let me know what you would like to do.

Thanks for that offer TJones but I honestly don’t know what I’m gonna do yet. I took the diff cover off and a ton of water came out along with the remaining sludge. On the bright side, there was no chunks of anything and no axle stubs. I think something happened and they just removed it. There is repaired damage to the diff cover. This is obviously a full axle tear down and if I do that then everything will be new. I want to do this right and if it means taking longer for the end product then so be it. I have a question... is the rzeppa axle better than the U-joint one? They are more expensive. Attached are a couple pics showing the missing axle and cover damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The U joint axle is easier to maintain, and to install. One of the ball bearings always tries to escape. It's half a dozen to one, six to the other to which one is the better joint. TJones raced his with the the Ujoints to match both sides. I'm sure he but them to the test.

Like GM said the u-joint axles are easier to maintain and your right Toms51 they are cheaper, that's kind of why I switched mine out when I did my front axle. I just didn't want to mess with it anymore and the other side had a u-joint in it.

Thanks guys.... u-joint axles it will be then... took off the rear differential cover and there was a good amount of lube in there... AND the water! What’s with the water mixed in? How does that get in there? Anyway, all appears normal, everything turns real smoothly with no slop at all. Think I’m gonna do a good clean out there and make the outer hubs, brakes, bearings all new... and of course pay attention to all suggestions...
    Attached Images Attached Images

We found a Jeep frame along a creek bank, several years back. It had sat there for 20 or 30 years before that. The creek floods once or twice a year, submersing the frame. The differentials were attached, but believe it or not, I was able to salvage the axles from the diffs. The gear was free, but it was crusty. Moisture comes in through the vent if the vent becomes submerged. Also, if the vehicle is stored outside, and there is a drastic temperature change, along with humidity, the moisture will condense in the cool diff housing. This isn't enough to cause you large headaches, just a surface film.
    Your gear set looks really good. The wear pattern on the ring gear looks to be fairly centered, so the pinion preload is spot on.
    For tips on rebuilding the Dana axles, look up metal shaper on you tube. He has a couple of well done videos on the subject for any pointers you may seek.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 02-07-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Oh yeah! Metal shaper... been looking at video after video of this guy. Unless I find something or someone better, he is my go to source for hands on tutoring... Along with Kaiser Willys and this forum, I should get along fine.