Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed. Starter rewind from 6 volt to 12 volt

Hybrid View

Advice needed. Starter rewind from 6 volt to 12 volt

Hello all, I need a little advice. I am converting my CJ-3A to 12 volts. I have read that many Willys owners just pump in 12 volts to the 6 volt starter. I have a small background in old school electrical technology. I do know that this will create high starter current and, high stater torque. Both do not seem desirable to me. Has anyone gotten their starter motor armature rewound to 12 volts? Does anyone know of a reliable source?

Bob
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-31-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Convert 6-volt starter?

"...Has anyone gotten their starter motor armature rewound to 12 volts.."

I've heard of it being done, but it takes rewind of both the field coils and the armature - which translates to BIG $$$.

It sounds a little too simple, but I'd leave the starter 6-volts. It will indeed crank faster, but it does make for quicker starts and less cranking time. Change the brushes, make sure the commutator is smooth and give it a whirl - so to speak.

I have heard this tears up the ring gear on the flywheel. Is that fake news perhaps?

Take News?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    I have heard this tears up the ring gear on the flywheel. Is that fake news

perhaps?
    I am sure that lot more ring years have survived 12 volt starts than have been damaged. Jeep ring gears and Bendix drives are brutes when you compare them to modern parts.

When you crank with a 12 volt battery, it doesn't even have time to warm up. Technically, the faster crank speed generates a higher counter EMF in the armature and current is lower than you would expect. Go with 12-volt battery cables and they will hold current down some as well.

You will need a voltage reducer for the fuel gauge, and oil and temp if they are electrical.

This is easy to overthink.

Going for it LarrBeard! I agree with your assessment.

I have the working original mechanical oil pressure gauge and Water Temp. I also have the original Fuel gauge and an original Amp meter. The fuel sender does not look so good. Goop for a gasket and other indications someone has been in there. The tank looks good otherwise. I see KW has a 12 volt sender. Would that function properly with my original gauge?

HAPPY NEW YEAR to you!
    Last edited by bmorgil; 12-31-2018 at 07:17 PM. Reason: spell

The mechanical gauges just need the 6 volt bulb changed to a 12 volt, but my brain isn't functioning right now to remember if the 3A had individual builbs or a single bulb fixture. The fuel gauge will need to be changed if the sender is swapped. The ohms just don't work out right, and your reading will be off.

When 12 volts will not hurt a 6 volt starter, nor ring gear. As LarrBeard stated, it is not a cheap set up. I can not remember changing or flipping a ring gear over for using the other side on a Jeep.

One bulb in the middle of the cluster. I will get the 12 volt sender.

Thanks all for the help. I am now confident it will work well.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorgil View Post
    One bulb in the middle of the cluster. I will get the 12 volt sender.
    You're still working too hard!

https://www.amazon.com/SMAKN%C2%AE-D...TTTQQE2Z3WG3FF

Red wire to vehicle battery, black wires to chassis ground, yellow wire to BAT terminal of temp gauge. Costs less than a new tank unit, less trouble to install and ... wait ... there's more - you can even keep your original panel lamp!!

Seriously, this not as redneck a fix as it looks. When most manufacturers changed over to 12-volt systems, for a couple of years they used mechanical voltage converters to run the 6-volt gauges. But, if you want to be really original, those tend to be expensive.

https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...sh-gauges.html

Happy New Year!

Wow that almost seems like cheating! Thanks LarrBeard!

Thats a great idea! I like that fix, LarrBeard.