Thread: Dashboard knob

Dashboard knob

Hi all...
    The weather has finally getting better and I've been busy with everything but my Willys Wagon. A couple of months ago I was able to lift the body off and lifted easier than I had expected.
    I have everything off and the body is ready for the shop. EXCEPT... of all things I can't seem to get one dashboard knob off (I'm sure i can break it but that's not the goal). Please give me a hint as to how it comes off. There is a set screw hole but there is no set screw. The second pic is through the dash.
    IMG_5891.jpgIMG_7264.jpgIMG_7266.jpg

Light Switch

Quote Originally Posted by dagwin View Post
    Please give me a hint as to how it comes off.

It is threaded onto the shaft. Lefty-loosey ....

I would suggest replacing the switch. I kept the original switch on the '48, but the contacts turned out to have issues and I have a significant voltage drop across the switch that make the lights dim -

WOW... I never imagined that a dashboard knob could be so tight without breaking. I had to use pliers! Thank you LarrBeard.

I was confused with the dashboard label too. the label says 4 WD IN/OUT (not from factory) but was wondering why that would be there. Makes more sense that it is for the lights and the lable l was just put there as an open place on the dashboard.

Going to the shop in a couple of weeks!!! YEAH

dagwin, getting the body off is definitely a rush!

There is a small set screw in the knob. It locks the knob to the shaft so it won't turn.

bmorgil... the set screw is not in it. it was just super tight. i'm not as strong as i once was but i was never strong enough to bust that free. i had to use pliers.

just maybe someone use loctite on it...yeah... that's it. nothing to do with being weak

Now, a hint when you get ready to put it back together. Mount the new switch, push the shaft in and then, and only then, screw the knob on the shaft. If you put the knob on and then push in the shaft, the knob can keep the switch shaft from going all the way in. If that happens, the parking and tail lights stay on and you spend a half-day looking for a wiring problem that isn't there.

You get one guess as to how I know that ...

lol... sounds like a man speaking from true EXPERIENCE

Crap.... now I have to check mine.

It's the douh! moments that make the experience memorable.