Thread: 53 Willys gauges help?

Hybrid View

53 Willys gauges help?

Hi guys, I am wanting to retain the origanal gauges in my 53 Willys truck, I have looked the inter-web high and low and have not seen where I might get replacement gauges of this type. If there is anyone that could provide assistance that would be appreciated.

I found the link to Bobs gauge restoration so if I can not source these I will see if Bobs can help me.

What type of gauges are these called?

20190102_194429.jpg
    20190102_194342.jpg
    20190102_194330.jpg
    20171206_091847.jpg
    20171221_142243.jpg
    Last edited by Btroy; 01-02-2019 at 09:22 PM.

LarrBeard is our resident guru on Willy's truck gages. I know he had his restored through an original that specializes in gages.

'53 Gauge Cluster

Wow - pretty rough ...

The gauges are King-Seeley gauges (look at KS on the lower part of the fuel gauge). The Fuel gauge is a transplant from an earlier cluster, perhaps a 1946 to 1950 1/2 cluster. The Oil and Temp gauges are bi-metal gauges. A bi-metal strip, kind of like a thermostat, heats up bends and makes the needle move. The Amp gauge is a rolling magnet gauge i think, but I've not gotten that far into mine to find out.

Your best source for old gauges is going to be from a used parts source - I do not know of anyone who is making replicas of the King - Seeley gauges.

I'd send the pictures to Bobs and see what they have to say about restoring the gauges.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the info and pics. I sure don't want to install round gauges unless absolutly needed.

I see you live in Ft Wayne, I grew up in Anderson.

Gauges

Quote Originally Posted by Btroy View Post
    Thanks for the info and pics. I sure don't want to install round gauges unless absolutly needed.

I see you live in Ft Wayne, I grew up in Anderson.
    As always, I had another idea just after I clicked "Submit Reply". If you decide to give Bobs the gauges, send the speedometer along as well. At the very least it's full of dried grease, and it may be rusty with worn bushings. He can set the odometer wherever you want it so you can start where you left off.

I broke a gauge after he repaired it, and I had a speedometer issue, so I sent stuff back for repair and checkout. Things came back in a week, no charge - even for things that I broke.

Good people ....

'51 Gauges

Quote Originally Posted by opus8844 View Post
    Hello

I Have a complete Set of 1951 gauges i can send pictures later today if you are interested
    Sure. It's interesting to see how things changed with Jeeps, even though we tend to think that everything was very basic and static back then. There were an impressive number of options available if you wanted to really jazz up the 2WD or 4WD vehicle.

Would you believe that back in '48 there were separate options for cigarette and cigar lighters? And, as a note, you put the residue from your smoke in the "Ash Receiver"; that little chrome box in the middle of the dash under the wiper button.

Who would have thunk it .... ?

Quote Originally Posted by opus8844 View Post
    here is a picture of the gaugesAttachment 3602Attachment 3602

Nice send me a PM with what you are asking for them.