Thread: Lap or Butt weld

Lap or Butt weld

Hey All, I am replacing my inner and outer rocker panels on this 1949 Jeepster. I have everything clamped up fairly well but now I struggle with to lap weld or butt weld the new rockers, especially towards the back wheel. My biggest hesitation is in cutting away so much good metal to make the butt weld.

Lap welding will allow me to keep that good metal and put new metal over it. Not to mention easier for this unskilled welder.

Looking for feedback.

P.S you ever watch those cars resto shows where they spread bondo over the body like they're frosting a cake and say, "someday somebody is going to have to deal with that." That's me now.

rocker.jpg

I butt weld most everything. My advice is to keep as much of the original steel as you can, and trim the replacement steel to only what you need. In my opinion, the original steel welds much better than the replacement steel does, so focus your heat on the original steel, and pull from the replacement. The make up of the old steel takes heat better than the new stuff.
    Lap spot welds work best for joining two body panels at 90 degree angles.
    To disipate heat or to fill a gap, find yourself a piece of copper. Place the copper behind the area to be welded. In a gap, the copper allows the weld to fill the void, but not stick to the copper. Even flattened out copper pipe works for this.

If you want to see a true Craftsman at body work, Google the GrandWillys project. He is located in Australia, and he is a master fabricator.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-03-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Great advice. Thanks