Thread: New to restoring 2 old Willys Wagons

New to restoring 2 old Willys Wagons

B0ACF69F-E323-42B7-AC58-2E1D9B5A4683.jpg

Glad to know I’m not the only crazy one to restor a Willys from body off. I grew up in a Willys Wagon and told my dad someday I’d like to get one and fix it up. Well dad couldn’t stick around long enough to see that happen. He would have kept me occupied for ions with old stories as old men do. Now I’m the old man and I too have lots of stories it seems.

I’m in the process of removing all rust and replacing with new steel. What I thought was a very clean wagon isn’t so free of problems. Picked up a ‘60 Wagon in NM for a nice $1800, ran but needed some help. After figuring that to go original stock didn’t give me much more than a rough ride I’m looking at a Bronco or Wrangle rolling chassis while repairing the body.

Being an old tool/die maker the sheet metal isn’t a problem. The problem is I don’t like getting my hands dirty... well I’m having to get over that with beer. Everyone asks me “ what are you going to do when it’s done?” I tell them “ I’m going ride down Main Street and pick up chicks, they may not be young but.....”

In any web search I can’t find anyone mentioning anything about repairing the slide window gutters or metal under the window. There are no replacements listed and my wagon is in fair condition. I hate to see what bad condition looks like but I can’t be the only idiot to repair these sections. Any thought?

Welcome Danno! I really like the rotisserie for the body. That would make life almost too easy. Beer conquers most anything, so keep a good supply around for the dirty work.

We have a '63 wagon, but it was a Midwest bottom rot special. The slider windows are not in too bad of shape, considering the bottom lip of the windshield leaked, and caused rust holes to form around the dash. You are correct, there isn't much information or even parts available for the slider window tracks, except the felts. It isn't too complicated to fabricate the shapes needed to repair the window tracks. The hardest part is to replace the plastic hose from the gutter down to the floor board. A rubber hose would suffice, since the drain hose is concealed behind the interior panel. Being a tool and die guy, I don't foresee you having any problems at all.

The Midwest rot mainly kills the floor boards and around the wheel wells. From the waist line up, it isn't too bad at all, minus the windshield.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't Sell Yourself Short!

Quote Originally Posted by Danno1133 View Post
    B0ACF69F-E323-42B7-AC58-2E1D9B5A4683.jpg I tell them “ I’m going ride down Main Street and pick up chicks, they may not be young but.....”
    Old Jeeps are Chick Magnets!
    Attached Images Attached Images