Thread: Front bumper question

Front bumper question

Hello... I just received a new front bumper from KW for my 51 3a. It is the same bumper for roughly 16 years, as far as I can see. None of the mounting holes match up and before I call them with a dumb question I’d like to find out if there is a logical explanation for it from everyone’s experience. I attached a couple pics so you can see the difference.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom51,
    You have the correct bumper, and you are also correct that the same style of bumper was used for around 16 years. Often what happens is that the factory made small changes that the reproduction may or may not have captured. The mount holes should line up at least, but often they are off. Even using original bumpers on different years, (a late 2A bumper to 3A frame) often gas to be modified to fit directly. I had a 2A bumper for a 47, and went to put it on my 46. The holes were off, so I ended up welding up the holes and redrilled them in the location I needed. Not a perfect situation at all. Maybe one of the others has had a different experience.

Thanks, based on what I’ve read, I’m not surprised. I shall break out the MIG, grinder, and drill and make it happen.

Jeep Parts Interchangeabit

[QUOTE=Toms51;6879 .... break out the MIG, grinder, and drill and make it happen.[/QUOTE]

We used to joke about military gear - that there was a note on the manufacturer's drawing:

1.0 Finish
    1.1 Hammer all edges closed
    1.2 Weld shut
    1.3 Grind flush
    1.4 Paint to match
    1.5 Stamp "Interchangeable Part"

Remember Jeep Rule 1: "What you see is what you have."

And as time has rolled on, the same is true today about military gear. Hammer to fit, paint to match. It's amazing that the invent of CAD drawings and the like, we still follow the same rules on installation.