Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-Introduction!! Hello all. Build #3 that wasn't supposed to be a build!!

Lightbulb Re-Introduction!! Hello all. Build #3 that wasn't supposed to be a build!!

Hi guys. Just thought I'd share my recent build. First a little history. I built then sold my 47' 2a. Why? I dunno! Stupid I guess. I then did a 61 cj5. The only thing I didn't like about it was the fiberglass body. It freaked my wife out. It was very "flexy". Next I started shopping around for a flat fender that "needs very little". I thought I found one, a 48'cj2a, in Michigan. It was Pa. title and registered as a farm vehicle. I was assured it was in great shape and paid pretty much paid top dollar. Well it was a total disaster. I ended up getting some cash back but not nearly enough. I've rebuilt or replaced everything but the axles and transfer case so far. Here's a couple pics.IMG_20180915_193111_551.jpgIMG_20190111_202906_192.jpgIMG_20190105_142350_821.jpgIMG_20190111_202906_181.jpgIMG_20180927_221911_225.jpg

For some reason people who sell Jeeps feel they are compelled to lie about the condition. I bought mine at auction. I had long discussion with the auction house who assured me that it was in top notch condition. Saying one of the employees was driving it back and forth to work. When I received it had no power. The transmission and transfer case were filled with STP to slow down the leaks but bone dry. The motor had two broken pistons, a warped head and a cracked block. The clutch was toast. I ended up rebuilding every part from bumper to bumper. The only thing that was right was the body was in perfect shape. It was a 6 volt system but somebody had put in a 12 volt battery so the electric system was toast. I can never get my money out of it.
    Last edited by Sebastian21; 01-13-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian21 View Post
    For some reason people who sell Jeeps feel they are compelled to lie about the condition. I bought mine at auction. I had long discussion with the auction house who assured me that it was in top notch condition. Saying one of the employees was driving it back and forth to work. When I received it had no power. The transmission and transfer case were filled with STP to slow down the leaks but bone dry. The motor had two broken pistons, a warped head and a cracked block. The clutch was toast. I ended up rebuilding every part from bumper to bumper. The only thing that was right was the body was in perfect shape. It was a 6 volt system but somebody had put in a 12 volt battery so the electric system was toast. I can never get my money out of it.
    I truely think that half or more of these "collector car" dealerships do not know what they're selling.

Before and after pic. Paint looks good but it had more bubles in the paint than dishwater. No just thru but surface rust painted over. Water in everything mechanical. Cracked block. Pure rust pudding in bake lines. Bad!! IMG_20180921_231252_119.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome back Dvdsjk,
    That is a great fuel rear conversion 2A. Heeps are a labor of love, because we will not get rich building and selling.

Trust nobody but your own eye. I am a used car salesman's worst nightmare. The last used truck I purchased from the Chevy dealer was put up on a lift so I could check everything out for myself. Even though it was a certified used vehicle, it was found to have leaking front axle seals and a brake line that was knicked. The salesman promised to have the issues fixed by the close of business the following day, then we could close the deal. The next day at lunch the poor salesman called to let me know that he was taking it in the shorts because on a 3/4 ton, the axle had to come out in order to reseal it. That much I did know. I told him that was why I demanded it be fixed before purchase. I bet he wasn't too popular at the daily sales meeting.

It was my own fault. A little too far to drive. I really should have had a service look it over. This one hurt at first. First time I was tr

Even the wife felt bad for me. On top of it all I could not find a good block anywhere . She scraped up the cash for one of the new allied blocks I built up. Thank goodness the crank, flywheel and head we're able to be refinished. Look at the first piston I pulled. Screenshot_20190113-202132_Photos.jpg

The new allied blocks look to be a fairly good deal. A brand new, better alloy composition block for the price that is often less than getting an original to pass. Too bad they couldn't find a company in the states that could pour it for a comparable price. Still sounds like a great deal.
    Your wife is an understanding soul! Just remember a free heep is expensive. J-ust E-mpty E-very P-ocket.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-13-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gmwillys View Post
    The new allied blocks look to be a fairly good deal. A brand new, better alloy composition block for the price that is often less than getting an original to pass. Too bad they couldn't find a company in the states that could pour it for a comparable price. Still sounds like a great deal.
    Your wife is an understanding soul! Just remember a free heep is expensive. J-ust E-mpty E-very P-ocket.
    It's already set up with hardened valve seats and standard piston bore. Oh and freeze plugs . You do have to "clean the block" in ice cold water due to flash rusting . I found one large piece of casting from water jacket. This is my first bare block build and it went really well!! Screenshot_20190113-202310_Photos.jpg

Is anyone reproducing the F 134 block? They must have been thousands made yet you cannot find one. I had to have my block welded up by a company that specializes in welding blocks, at a considerable expense.