Thread: Winter Starting - "Baby, It's COLD Outside"

Winter Starting - "Baby, It's COLD Outside"

It’s winter in NE Indiana. A lot of people act surprised, but strangely enough, it happens just about this time every year. The high next Wednesday promises (or threatens) to be -7, with 30 MPH winds. Streets get wet, sloppy, covered with muddy snow and a mix of body eating salt thrown in for good measure. My truck doesn’t get to go out and play in that mess anymore - I take a lot better care of it than I do myself.

But, it does get started every week and I let it run until the thermostat opens up and things get really good and warm. I use a little starting fluid to get it going and in the last month I discovered a trick that has made starting it easier.

I spritz a little go-juice into the carburetor and let it sit for a minute – yeah, about 60-seconds by the clock. Then, I just hit the starter (ignition OFF) and crank the engine through about three or four times. 6-volt systems crank slowly, but I believe that by cranking this way, with no spark, the fumes of the starting fluid get pulled into every cylinder while at the same time the carburetor is adding some fuel vapors to dilute the ether. After the third or fourth crank through, I usually see some oil pressure on the gauge, so I know there is lube on the mains.

Then, I hit the ignition. It starts on the next TDC and picks up and idles out quickly.

Now, I do have a good battery and a tight engine, so your results may vary depending on your engine condition and battery.

Stay warm and keep an eye out for the idiots out there!

Great tip. Either is hard on engines, but I like your thought process on easing the shock.

Growing up we had a Ford Golden Jubele industrial tractor. It was a crusty, well worn loader tractor that we used to bring wood to the house, then drag the drive when it snowed. It sat outside all year long without a tarp. It was running the six volt, with a tractor supply battery that was always good for six months. When it was time to use the hulk, you were guaranteed to have to drag the extension cord and the charger the 75 feet to the loader. After warming up the battery for a bit, it would almost always take right off. It wasn't pretty, but it did the job. In the summer time, we had an AC b. Batteries were a luxury around our place, so either you had to push it over to the top of the hill, or use the hand crank. Kids have it too easy these days.
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-27-2019 at 08:13 PM.

Crank It Over

" ... or use the hand crank .."

I was just watching old airplane videos and a couple of guys were starting (or trying to start) an FW-190D. This was a late model with an inverted liquid cooled V-12 engine. The crank goes in a hole just in front of the windscreen and two guys stand on the wings and turn the crank to spin up a flywheel inertial starter.

When the flywheel gets up to speed, they pull out the crank, jump off the wings and the pilot engages the inertial starter to spin over the engine. The two guys were bustin' their fannies but after three or four tries it didn't start. Then the pilot says "Sorry guys, I don't have it pulled back to full rich".

Kind of like rolling the tractor down the hill and not turning on the key ....

I used to go through all that stuff with 30 below or worse and everything had a block heater and batteries came inside. I don't know if engines know if it winter or summer sometimes cause a warm battery in a cold engine cranks like summer time. but a block heater is worth every penny of the 20 bucks they used to cost. no vehicle was ever outside the range of an extension cord. that why I live in az now none of that stuff now. no cold no cord no problem
    Last edited by 90 degree; 01-27-2019 at 10:05 PM.

A radial engine with the shotgun shell start.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IACjOvyx5hs

The most fun starting a tractor was a 60 series Cat crawler. The flywheel is notched for a tanker, (railroad) bar to fit in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oJUS3hXDvg

Living in the far north tundra was interesting. When the mercury dipped down to -50, it was amazing to see how it effected machinery. The hydraulic shocks on my pickup would freeze, so the usual 3/4 ton ride was much harsher. A block heater was a must, even on a gas engine. All the local motels and places of businesses had outlets for you to plug your vehicle in while you were there. The last time I went back for a visit, we went on a snowmobile trip. The overnight temps were in excess of -50, with a daytime temp of -20. As you stated 90 degree, it is much easier being in the South/South West. I still miss the snow, but according to the forecast for Tuesday, we are slated to receive 2" to 3" of snow. Wally world will be sold out of milk, eggs, and bread by this evening. I don't know why, but whenever the weather turns sour, that's what people rush to get.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gmwillys; 01-28-2019 at 08:08 AM.